netbook reviews - anyone

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by lostinthewoods, Jun 14, 2009.

1. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

who has a netbook?

care to give a review of what you are using?

thanks
    keith

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.148 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I think 420 was testing one, send him a pm

3. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

We have a Samsung NC10 which is nice enough for web browsing and other minimal chores. I plan to purchase a Lenovo S12 when its released later in the summer/fall. It will be the first netbook with Nvidia's ION platform, so should be able to do photo editing, handle video, play some games pretty decently. It will also have a 12" screen which is pushing the netbook definition, but for carting around in my camera bag, it will be perfect...

4. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I'm subscribing to this thread. My father's been looking for a decent netbook for the last month or so, something he can throw in his flightbag so he can email when flying around the world.

I think he was looking pretty hard at an Acer model with a solid-state harddrive and some other bells and whistles.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  5. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

The HP with the 10.1 inch screen is really nice to play with. It fits in my cargo shorts pockets too ;)

Siegel

6. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I had an Acer netbook at Dyno day. Didn't use it for anything, but took it home for the weekend to play with. Like Scott said, they are fine for basic functions, web browsing, email, and stuff like that.

I didn't load any MP3s or Movies onto it to see how they were, but I expect them to play fine. Built in Wi-Fi worked fine, built in 3G Wireless I wasn't allowed to try. Not allowed to put my Employee SIM in the Netbook to test the wireless. Not sure why.

7. donpage

donpage Member

I have an Acer Aspire. It has built in WiFi, web cam and all that good stuff. It plays video and music well also. The main thing that impressed me with Acer is their customer service. I had it for about four months and the battery died. I called Acer and had a new battery at my door three days later. All I had to do was put the old battery in the box, slap on the return shipping slip(that they provided) and drop the box at a fed-ex box. Can't complain about that.

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Acer Aspires rock. Watched movies on it and works great. Speakers are lacking but hey look at the size of the thing. Took a little while to initially load movies but once loaded they played great. I like them.

9. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Just to go on what CoolRex is saying here:

I work for AT&T, on the Mobility side of the company, Wireless Phones and such. We are gearing up to start offering Netbooks, or we may already have them on the market. Verizon beat us with the Advertising for Netbooks at this point, I keep seeing the commercial for Verizons HP Netbook and saying to myself, where are our commercials to offer some competition.

The person who is responsible for our Netbook product is a guy who sits behind me. I had to write his troubleshooting content for Internal employees that will be troubleshooting these devices.

He currently has an Acer and a Lenovo Netbook, and the director for our department has a Dell Netbook, but I haven't seen it yet.

The Acer was the slimmer of the two Netbooks I have seen so far, and included all the same features as the Lenovo, built in Wi-Fi, Built in Webcam, same RAM and Harddrive, etc... The Acer also has built in Bluetooth which I do not believe the Lenovo had.

Aside from that, the Acer just looks better sitting side by side with the Lenovo. There is a clear shiny cover over the screen that makes it look much more vibrant and just plain better. As I said, it was slimmer, and slightly lighter. It also had more USB ports on the outside. The Acer had 4 USB ports, whereas the Lenovo only had 2.

The Acer also has a MicroSD card slot, which I don't remember the Lenovo having, but I could be wrong on that one, and it could also be included in the Lenovo.