New Android phones...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Feb 25, 2011.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

OG Droid 1 is getting old... got an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket. Waiting on the Thunderbolt to come out.... Then the Bionic after that. Not sure what to get. Word is Verizon isn't going to upcharge for 4G like Sprint does (at least at first), so logic tells me to lock that in for 2 years before the price increase happens. The Thunderbolt seems awesome, but its basically an EVO with slightly better specs. Decisions! What are you guys running? and what are you considering getting? Part of me wants to buy a used Droid X or Fascinate so I don't have to renew my contract now, and then see what comes out in a year or so... dual core? quad core? rumors rumors....

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

you should get an iPhone. the one with the wifis and more geebees

3. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I just got the new Atrix and I must say its pretty sick. I've never been much of a gadget freak when it comes to phones but this phone does everything.

I need to order the laptop dock this afternoon.

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

lol... gotsa have the more geebees and wiffees....

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Atrix does look pretty awesome... sad Big Red didn't get it... :(

6. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

too bad motorola got ahold of the hardware

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

the Bionic is the closest you'll get to the Atrix. The Thunderbolt doesn't have the dual core processor, so that's out for me. There's also the LG Revolution, the Incredible 2, Droid X 2, etc.

I'm personally wanting something in the 4" screen range, but 4.3" would be just fine with me as well. If Samsung would get off their ass and announce/release their LTE GalaxyS phone, I'd consider that, too...or if the Nexus S came over to Verizon.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/carriers/Verizon/upcoming

8. slowwrx

You can buy them unlocked

9. Matt

still won't work on Verizon's CDMA technology.

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Yup... X2, Dinc2 both look promising.. Bionic is getting a lot of flack for having a locked bootloader, making it harder to hack. Galaxy S2 looks amazing... interested to see if they make different flavors for other carriers like the 1st one (fascinate, epic etc...). I also want the 4.3" screen... Amoled or superamoled would be ideal.

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Would never pay retail anyways... no phone is that cool...

12. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have the Samsung Epic (Galaxy S) and HTC Evo both phones have their ups and downs. I originally thought the Epic was a nicer phone but after I rooted the EVO and put a custom rom on the EVO, I think I am liking that phone better:)

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Care to explain? Cause I was looking at ditching my iPhone 3g for the Atrix.

14. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I have friends with both of those... I like them both. Epics for the screen (Avatar looks unbelievable) and the EVO for Screen size and general awesomeness. Custom Roms are pretty slick. That whole thing with the Epic/Fascinate not having Froyo yet though is disheartening. I know you can root and load a Froyo Rom... but it should have stock.

15. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

motoblur skin sucks

just got the htc inspiron, opted to not get the atrix due to motorola software. Nicad and I (mostly nicad) are about to root my phone to get rid of the HTC skin.

Ball, you're an idiot...for the same price, get a netbook. You just spent $600 on a phone / computer, shouldn't you be using that on your car?

The atrix uses thumbprints to unlock the phone, though...pretty cool

16. slowwrx

If I get a netbook I have to get another fucking line for it or tether it to the damn phone and thats fucking dumb.

I've got everything for the car ordered just waiting on it all to show up.

Oh and the finger print thing is cool but the button location to turn the phone on and off suck.

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Matt will you be at Topspeed while I'm getting tuned on March 4th (next Friday)? If you will would you mind letting me play with the phone a little and showing me the cool things you like about and what you dislike? That way I can make an educated decision? I have to wait till April to upgrade anyways.

18. integroid

Froyo was released this week for my Samsung Epic OTA:)

19. integroid

Who is the idiot that can't root his own phone? LOL I think it took me all of 5 minutes

20. 07Ltd#767

i could be wrong, but the process is a little different for the newer phones...like ones released less than 2 weeks ago. The fact that you can already root them is pretty cool, but from what I've seen it's not just a simple 123 process

21. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

new phone is much more difficult. involves a hex editor

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Who's the idiot that can't keep up with the new current stuff? LOL

23. 07Ltd#767

24. Matt

it's way different for different phones. unrEVOked is quick and painless but not for all phones.

25. Matt

did you get the Inspire?? b/c there is no inspiron...that's a dell computer.

:p

26. heathbar

heathbar Member

I'm still loving my Evo 9 months later. Personally, I really like the Sense UI. :)

27. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ I like it too, thats why I'm leaning towards the Thunderbolt.. if it ever comes out.

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I think the UI's are all personal preference.

29. slowwrx

Yeah Ill be here your welcome to check it out.

30. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Here's a question: I've got 5 lines, about to cancel two, both of which are eligible for upgrades at the moment. Those two upgrades are transferable, so even though I just picked up a new Fascinate at the end of last year I'm figuring I might as well buy something new. Thinking two iphone 4s, flip 'em when the new one comes out and go back to the Fascinate. Who knows, Froyo should be out by then :)

31. Matt

so wait..you want to spend more money when you can just cancel the lines?

how are the upgrades transferable? I've never heard of that before.

32. integroid

Well maybe if my profession was in the cell phone industry, like you, I would be all over it. or if say I worked for Google, like Nicad, I would have known. All of the Froyo phones I play with are very easy to root. Either way I would have figured it out myself:)

33. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I don't work in the cell phone profession per say. Telecom meaning landline, catv, internet, cell, home security, etc.

Ask Shiring....I know very little when it comes to cell phones.

34. Alex

Doesn't matter if it's dual core or quad core, it'll cost you $260-300 on a 2 year contract and be a giant brick within 1 year of your purchase. :)

35. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Yeah, that seems to be the reality of cell phone tech now... Your phone is irrelevant before you can activate it. Thats why I'm so mad the Thunderbolt has been delayed so much. It would have been leading edge if they would have released it 4 or 5 months ago when it was ready. My question with the dual/quad core thing is... How necessary/effective will having multiple cores be for the average user??? I know, more power is always better.. but still. Unless you are always downloading stuff, while playing a game, surfing the net, and making a call at the same time... I think a more powerfull single core would be just fine.

36. Matt

multi-core is supposed to be battery friendly as well. I'm all for better battery life.

37. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Can't you just spend $50 more and get a 1 year contract?

38. Matt

It's $70 now on verizon, and that's what I plan on doing from here on out.

39. Alex

Not with the iphone :rofl: 1 year contract = full price phone.

40. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

That's because Apple is goddamn stingy with their warranty.

41. Matt

what does the warranty have to do with the subsidized pricing on the phone?

:squint:

42. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

They have ridiculous prices for a shitty warranty?
    I don't know. I'm tired.

43. Matt

[​IMG]

44. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

No you have have to chime in pointless things over and over and over when in reality you have no or have never owned a Subaru and have no clue what you talking about.

45. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

just as a point of clarification: the OS version has nothing to do with ease of rooting

46. integroid

I know but since you work for Google you control the interwebz and therefor knows all:)

47. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

All he does at Google is drink beer and look at pics :rofl:

48. 07Ltd#767

and sleep

49. integroid

Get it right ....he is looking at ghey dude pics

50. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Uh oh let the trolling begin......