New Car...?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Greg, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

ok... heres my situation:
    IF my car is totalled, I'll be lucky to get about $23-24k for it, then I can buy it back, and part it out for another $5-6k. So I'll be at roughly $28-29k. I owe $8k on the STi now, so $8k would be gone immediately. So now I'm back down to $20k...
    Heres the options that I've been looking at:
    1. Buy a DD (Mazda 6, or something like it) and then build an FD or FC LS1
    2. Buy a new Evo, and only owe a couple grand.
    3. Put the money down on an M3 and still have payments.
    What are your suggestions?

2. Greg

Greg Active Member

[​IMG]

My version... Lowered, tinted windows, cleared and tinted head lights, FMIC, painted grill, and black wheels
    [​IMG]

3. Deke

Deke Active Member

Even though I think I'm a minority on this site, I like the new Evo, Although the M3 is always a tempting buy as well. I'd personally go with the Evo. The M3 is just damn expensive. As for the DD/weekend warrior option, maybe it's just because I'm still young-ish, but I like having a DD that is quick. You never know when you'll need the extra power on an interstate merge or something of the sort.

4. Greg

Greg Active Member

^ I'm the same way. I'd get he evo, but still do the rx7 LS1, whether its a FC or and FD, I'm not sure yet. I'll be picking up the motor around the 1st of the year, and I'm going to build that. Once its done, I'll find something to drop it in.

5. N2BNLOW

N2BNLOW Member

Im going with the Evo. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Not having a car payment is a wondeful thing.

I'd pickup a cheap daily driver and spend what would be monthly payments on the m3 or evo to build a FD or FC LS1

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

and by cheap DD, he means something along the lines of a Mazda3 or something like that.

;)

8. Greg

Greg Active Member

I already bought a Mazda 3..... but she took it :(

9. FACE

FACE Active Member

subaru

10. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I say get a cheap ass DD and then build up a touge beast

11. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

i'd buy an older evo, pretty much cause it's faster than the new one at least stock for stock

12. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

This is how I know I'm getting old.:rofl: Start a roth IRA, and start saving for retirement. Then use the rest on a 2008 EVO MR.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  13. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah, your getting old ;)
    The police 401k is actually very good tho

14. Matt

who is she?

15. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

go for the evo!!

16. Greg

Greg Active Member

Ex-girlfriend. She didn't have any credit, so I put 5k down on it for her, so it'd be in her name.

17. Matt

the hooker!!

but, it's not yours

18. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hooker....? huh
    Yeah I know

19. FACE

FACE Active Member

Hope you see the money again...I co-signed for an ex years ago and it haunted me for 5ysr!

20. Matt

sorry...I call a LOT of people hookers....has nothing to do with female. could be male, could be dog, could be vegetable.....

I call you hooker, hooker!

21. YOMANDO

YOMANDO Member

from the pictures i saw it looked repairable. unless the frame was damaged or the repaire cost is more than what the car is worth, than it would be a totalled loss.

22. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Hmmm......will the M3 be an E36 or E46?

M3 = pure sex/trackable car
    New EVO = fun, but slower that older versions
    Mazda or other DD = no payments, build FD

I opt for number 3, unless you can afford the M3 and its up keep. If it is an E36 M3, you can find one with well kept for well under $20k. If an E46, prepare for payments. I am after a E39 M5

23. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

24. Greg

Greg Active Member

^ uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no.

25. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

u asked for opinion ans i gave you one.... err 2

26. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

4th option.

Buy a 2.5rs for under 10k and put all of ur sti stuff into it and still have money left over to play with or you can resell it and have even more money

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  27. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

E36 or E46???? My boss is selling his 2004 (I believe) 330ci ZHP

28. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Good move!!!!

29. Go with something that would help your pocket. An older Evo sounds like a better idea than a newer one. If you still wanna stick with a Subaru, I'd but an older 2.5rs and swap everything over to it. :p lol but thats just me. Good luck with whatever you go with man.

Keep us updated!

30. Greg

Greg Active Member

I blew the engine....

31. Fuuuckk, that sucks! Get an Evo and call it a day.

/thread.

32. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Ok well but a 2.5RS and my a STI engine and trans. Thats the only thing I could get rid of my STI for that or a 92X with STI engine and trans but I'm bias meh....

33. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Just a thought, but u could drive it as a dd until u fix the motor with a little bit of the money u got left over

34. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

Do the evo. Or if you do the dd route get something cheaper than a brand new Mazda.

35. Jake

Jake Active Member

M3, but i get to drive it

36. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

the engine is blown????

37. DustySTI

DustySTI Member

M3 is the hotness. Looks great and has the speed to go with it. If your payments and insurance aren't outrageous I'd say M3. Just don't settle for a base 3 series. UNLESS you plan on getting the brand new twin turbo v6 3 series. 300 HP turbo bimmer.... can we say potential. Or the new 1 series when it comes out with the same TT V6 found in the 3 series. If I were to sell my STI today i would get the new TT 3 series. I would even considering rocking the hardtop convertible. Think about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but I believe the new EVO is actually faster on the track than the older EVO even though its longer and a little heavier. I wouldn't buy an EVO because of reliability issues. Especially the new ones being the first year with the new motor (did the motor originally come from one of the SUVs?)

38. Jake

Jake Active Member

i think car and driver did a test and the EVO IX was better in all but like two categories when compared to the new EVO X. basically, they said it just looked better on paper, but with some minor mods (suspension and power) it would probly blow the IX out the water.

39. Greg

Greg Active Member

When it hit the corner, it caved in and broke the sprocket off of the exhaust cam... SOG is calling it blown.

40. Demo24

Demo24 Member

damn!

theres always m-coupes!

41. ThaABomb

ThaABomb Member

FD LS1 FTW!!! Although that 2JZ S2000 was pretty ridiculous. Did you consider getting another STi?

42. Greg

Greg Active Member

I probably won't be sticking with a subaru.
    As far a new car goes, it'd probably be a new EVO, but for a 'toy/play car', it'll be something like an FD LS1 or IS300 turbo

43. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Nice!!! I love FD LS1.

44. N2BNLOW

N2BNLOW Member

You could always by my buddy's car.

[​IMG]

45. longfury

longfury Active Member

I would go Evo X MR. They won't be available till mid to late summer '08 though. I would go MR for the gearbox as my knee is giving out. My RX8 is my last car with a clutch pedal. Just too much knee pain from it.

46. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

With 20k id buy a C5 z06 or a C5 base model and put some mods on it

FTW

47. Greg

Greg Active Member

^ that is an option now, as well as a Supra...
    Mike, I actually found some Supras today for a decent price.
    Mid $20s Single turbo setup, 6-speed, average miles (30k-60k), with clean titles
    I'd have to do some traveling to get one, but I think it'd be worth it...

48. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Greg, there is a guy at my work who bought an IS and is transitioning his volks off of his 95 supra or 96, i forget. He's selling the Supra. Single turbo, i forget how many miles. The supra is somewhere in south GA, at his home town. If you want, PM me and I'll get you his info if he wants to start talking sales.

49. Greg

Greg Active Member

PM sent!

50. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I would get a hachi....ae86 ftw....

Mark