New cell phone

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emstraumajunke, Sep 1, 2006.

1. OK i got a new cell phone from Tmobile I got the SamsungSGH-t809 which im suppose to be allowed to use MP3s for ring tones, but acording to the book they have to be MP3s with DRM (Digital Rights Managements). I thought ok go download off something like Napster and it should work...Yea well I was wrong. My question is where do i get these MP3s from so i can get some MP3s for my ringtones.

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Does the phone come with any sort of proprietary software? (ie itunes)

3. blink

blink Member

Got this from Samsung's site:

How Can I Use My Own MP3s As Ringtones On My T809?

The SGH-T809 does support MP3 playback for ringtones. The MP3s will need to be obtained through HiFi Ringers, a service offered through T-Mobile's T-Zones. T-Zones is a paid subscription service offered through T-Mobile. Please contact T-Mobile for subscription information such a pricing and availability in your area as well as information on how to actually download the HiFi ringers.

Note: The handset may only utilize content that has DRM FWD lock to play MP3 content as ringtone. To identify which MP3s can be set as a ringer, the item will have what looks like a silver key icon next to it. With that said, it is not able to utilize MP3 content transferred via Mass Storage with MSD (T-Flash memory card) or even by using the PC Studio 3.0 software that the handset ships with for ringers.

So basically it looks like you cant do it, unless you buy content from tmobile. Here's the site I got that info from:

http://tinyurl.com/m5xez

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  4. KtownSubaru

KtownSubaru Member

you got hosed

man, phone companies suck. Obviously the put 'mp3 ringtones' to dupe people into buying it, and why not. That's somethign I looked for in a phone too, I just got lucky with Nokia/metroPCS. If there's no * with that note on the box or anything, or maybe even if there is, I'd take that phone back and get one that actually does what it says instead of making T-mobile money.

5. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

Motorola L7 is pimp btw!

6. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

why would they leave you with a choice when they can charge you money? ;p

7. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

because it's not about choice, it's that they know some people are to lazy to figure it out and will just say fuck it and pay.

8. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

uh oh I was planing on gettin a sprint phone with the mp3 on it I'll be sure to ask about it now.

9. jayj713

jayj713 Member

um, i have mp3s set as my ringtones. You have to make sure that the songs are <=128kbps but maybe thats just for my razr.

10. Yea that what in the manual..I went and talked to Tmobile guy today of course he told me to call the custmer service and they could help more.

11. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Can you reflash your phone, somehow, maybe some pissed off hacker is working on something to fix your woes rightg now? Verizon V710 owners have been resorting to that to get around some bluetooth and ringtone issues.

I just switchched out by busted v710 for a new one and Verizon updated the firmware on the same model phone so I couldn't copy ringtones via trans flash to the internal memory on the handset like I could before. Luckily for me I could send ringtones as pictures on my transflash to a bogus email address and save the message in my outbox to my phone's memory, but geesh. This is rediculous. I like cropping weird shit, (not usually music) with audacity and making ringtones, and iTunes or whatever doesn't allow for that sort of flexibility.

12. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

good thing you didnt get a razor, freakin biggest piece of crap ever

13. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

If you save the files to .3gp it'll allow you to play your songs as ringtones. Just tried it on the bro's phone.