New RE92s

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by bluetwo, Feb 24, 2006.

1. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

So maybe it isn't really worth a new thread, but it is a pretty important topic to some people.

As I understand it the RE92s on the 06's have some different compounds which make them a stronger tire and since the wheels are 17's now they should be a considerably better tire for wet and dry conditions.

...just wanted to see what some of your thoughts are.

2. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

The RE92s that come stock on all other WRXs aside from the 06 are absolutely aweful. They provide no grip and if you read any other forums, they are the first thing that is recommended to upgrade of the car. For a performance car like what we all drive, it is sad that Subaru scrimped so much on these horrible tires. They should have gone with the RE070 like on the STI.

3. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I just assumed, (from what I've read) that the 92s were meant to be a decent all-season tire since Subaru's are supposedly pretty popular in the snow belt. But I can see why it's recomended to upgrade.

I plan on wearing mine out and at least getting the use out of them that they were meant for, but some STi wheels are exactly what I want to upgrade to next. I just think teh bronze rims would look so damn sweet on my ride.

4. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

My salesman Neal O'Leary told me that they are different on the 06 models, but they are still pretty bad tires as Jason stated. I am definitely going to upgrade to Kumhos or Falkens once they wear out.

Mark

5. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

i just bought a second set of wheels/tires for aggessive driving. they are just fine for everyday driving.
    yes, they DO suck for auto-x or mnt. runs. mine squeeled louder than some of the 3" catless pipes running in front of me. but going and coming from work and home, they be alright.

6. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

When I lived in PA the 92 were fine for snow driving. They were not the greatest snow tires, but they definitely were better than using 18 wheel with Speed rated tires. If I still lived up north and had to deal with Snow regularly, then I would have kept the Stock Wheels and RE92s for winter, but since the south has maybe 1 snow day a year, I decided to sell them, and if it does snow, I will be calling into work that I can't make it. Other than snow, like last year, we had the one ice storm. The RE92 will do absolutely nothing when it comes to ice, same as any other non studded tire.

7. I think they are called RE92As...still not the best, but better then the old RE92