New Red Rocket!!! 08STi

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Doug@DBW Motorsports, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Wife surprised me on Tuesday with a loaded Lighting Red 08 STi. So right away I put on my 265/35/18's and did the Navi Hack so I can ... I mean my daughter can watch dvd's while were driving.

Future mods:

TopSpeed Turbo Kit
    TopSpeed FMIC
    TopSpeed Fuel System
    Header 4-1
    Cobb Exhaust
    Cobb Sways
    JRZ 2ways
    18x10 RPF1's
    285/35/18
    Varis Frt Lip

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

3. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

bump...love the rims man!

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah i like those wheels on that car. congrats on the new ride.

5. Trey

Trey Active Member

Red is the only color to get, God I wish red would have been a choice in 2004....-2007. :p

Link to the navi hack?

6. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Try searching nasioc for navi hack... its really easy. Took me 10mins to do, all you do is remove the head unit and cut the grey wire that goes to the small white connector. Then hook the grey wire to ground, wala your navi is completly unlocked so you can make changes to your destination without having to stop. Oh and you kids can watch dvd's now while its moving ;)

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Sweet Doug! Can we swap wives for a while? LOL She's definately an awesome wife for getting you that car! You still have the truck?

8. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Geez, I hope my *soon to be on day down the line* wife steps up to that level, lol! Congrats...

9. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

sweet new ride!!! I can't even begin to imagine how you folks celebrate the holidays if this is just a "surprise"......again congrats on the ride...cant wait to see the future mods you have in store for it!

10. longfury

longfury Active Member

I really, really, really want a Aspine White 08 STI. It's just not possible right now. :(

Grats though. :)

11. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Damn the wheels+Red is a nice combo! Sweet ride!

12. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

looks good bro!! congrats

13. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Lucky!!!
    [​IMG]

14. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

were you testing these wheels? Cant wait to see some RPF1

15. FACE

FACE Active Member

Very Nice !!!

:naughty:

16. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

My wife beat yours to the punch. She got ours last Saturday. :D

17. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Nice!!!!

18. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

i am usually not a fan of red but i have to say that looks really good!

19. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Looks sweet! Congrats.

20. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

looks nice, congrats

21. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

nice Doug!

It's an awesome car and looks great!

22. Where are you guys finding wives that will drop $40k on a whim? Shoulda done my research first.....

j/k, of course :D

I usually can't stand red cars, but that car with those wheels is just hotness!

23. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

I love it! These things looks awesome in red.

It's gonna be a beast.

24. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Looks great in person with those wheels. Saw it yesterday while at Top Speed. I also love the kid seat in the back! Thanks again for getting my shifter taken care of so quick. It's all good again.
    Chris

25. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

My wife hasn't gotten me a car, but she does keep letting me swap cars! I have maintained from day one that the new body style is hot and this just reaffirms it for me! Great looking car, can't wait to see what TopSpeed is able to do with this platform!

26. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

When are we going to see some dyno numbers??? And then some stage 2 numbers, etc???;)

27. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Stage 2? Doug ain't going to stage2...he's jumping straight to stage 11ty billion ;) :keke:

28. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yeah, I expect he will go straight to the GT35 and skip all that lower stuff. :naughty:

29. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

I saw it last night @ the V. Looks good with the wheels!

30. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

This is the wife's car though...

31. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

We are talking about Doug's red car...not your AW one.

32. JEFFSTI

JEFFSTI Member

YOUR first mod should be a new stearing wheel and then you can sell me yours. nah. nice car doug

33. JEFFSTI

JEFFSTI Member

YOUR first mod should be a new stearing wheel and then you can sell me yours. nah. nice car doug

34. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

dude, your wife is awesome. I remember when she bought you a sport bike!

35. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Ok.. just put Roxy on the dyno. This is just a baseline, no tuning as I still don't have an AP here yet to tune it on.

Only made two runs, both made almost the same power so I figured I wouldn't push it anymore. The car will be run mostly on 100oct so thats what these baseline pulls were made on hence the reason the car made as much power as it did.

Hopefully begining of next week I will have some tuned results on just the stock car. Then the mods and tuned graphs for each mod will also be posted.

Enjoy
    [​IMG]

36. SUBY_RUE

SUBY_RUE Member

Damn nice gift.... Do you need a new parts guy at the shop?.... thats what I do for a living for a local bodyshop :)

37. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Emmm well it looks bad ass anyway...............................

In need of a TS internal make over! Then it will be as fast as it looks!

38. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

Dyno time! That's what I'm talking about!:D

39. dontcallitarex

That's actually a pretty nice powerband. The delivery looks like it'd be a pretty fun ride. If you reverse the graph and put the topend down around idle thats how my powerband looks. lol.

Interesting to see what it makes once it gets the topspeed treatment. Very nice car.

40. 2thAche

2thAche Member

Saw the car parked and then passed you on the road with Scott. Looks bad-@ss with the black/red wheels. But I think you need a widebody kit to cover them (like that Supra in there). Either that or some chrome accents for the fenders ;)

Red is a great color for the '08.

41. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Actually I just need to be able to put some camber in the car and they will fit perfect. Right now the car has less than 1 degree of neg cambe so the tops stick out about 1/4". It drives me crazy so most likely I will be switching to different wheels soon.

42. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Did they change the turbo and intake on the 08 STi's like the wrx? Is it more like the Legacy? If so we may need to talk about a swaparoo.... Of course I still haven't gotten all the money for stage 2 yet, but STi swap may be nice. Just thinking outloud.

43. Doug@DBW Motorsports

the 08's run the same style turbo as previous years. I believe its a vf43 now though, I am sure WJM can correct me if I am wrong. The intercooler is different, its about 20% larger than any of the previous STi's we have had here.

44. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I was a bit surprised that the gains were so little. On the previous year sti's we would usually see gains around 10-15hp by just adding the downpipe even without tuning. It would appear that the newer STi's catback systems do not flow like previous model years. Guess that explains why the newer exhaust systems are so quiet.

This from just adding the downpipe, still no tuning has been done. Gains are minimal with a small increase in boost response.

Blue run is with the invidia downpipe

Red run is stock baseline

[​IMG]

45. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

You need this for the rear end.;)
    [​IMG]

Why the heck is that 05 up on jackstands you ask...:)

46. dontcallitarex

One look at the cbe on any 2008 will tell you how ridiculously restrictive it is. With a catback as well that car would make a lot more power, I imagine.

47. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

48. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Doug is it me or is the stock ECU/tune doing something nasty at 3700ish rpms? I actually felt that when I test drove the 08 here.