New struts/springs!

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by SonicBoom, Jan 9, 2005.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Just installed KYB GR2 struts and Whiteline Flat Out springs at Topspeed on Fri. The combo is not too stiff and lowered the car perfectly(just had to get rid of the monster truck gap in the front).
    I'm scrubbing the rears when turning hard or hitting big bumps right now. Porter has a camber bolt on order for me that should fix that along with a spec allignment.
    Great combo, no complaints as of yet...will try to post pic's soon.

2. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

sounds like you lowered a lot. what's the drop??

3. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Are you on wider tires than stock?

I havent ever heard too much about sedans rubbing with lowered suspensions

4. longfury

longfury Active Member

I run 225/45/17's on my WRX sedan with prodrive springs and have no rubbing issues with it. I hope when i goto 235/40's it will be the same.

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I not sure exactly how much It dropped, It's pretty low but I don't think that's the issue with the rubbing. I'm running 17 x 7 with 225/45's. My best guess is the offset on my Enkei Gf1's along with the wider wheels is the issue. I think a camber adjustment tilting the top of the rears in a little and all will be well. It's rubbing on the outside-top of the tires where the lip hangs over. There's plenty of clearance on the inside of the fenderwell...

6. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yeah an odd offset would do it. My Work Emotions are an offset of -47 and are 17x8. i am really hoping a 235/40 will not rub as i feel the 225/45 is too narrow for the 8" wide wheels

7. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

The STI runs 225/45's on 17x8 so I think thats a good combo. Me running 225's on 17x7 has the tires bulging a little, might go to 215's next time...
    longfury, I think i met you at the topspeed BBQ, I had the Yellow WRX..

8. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

Awesome, post pics when you get a chance. Nothing like a new mod too freshen up the love for your car :) Rubbing im 100% sure is an offset issue. The bolts will be good to fix it and have a much better range of camber than the cruddy lack of negative camber the stock ones are able to achieve.

Congrats,

Jason

9. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yeap that was me :)

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Thanks Jason, I'm loving the ride hieght, can't wait to test out the improved handling after camber bolts. I'm probably more excited about running stage 2 with new exhaust bits...pulls like a mutha!

I allready have pics...but I'm a noob and not sure how to get them on the forum. I know you attach file, find pic etc.. but last time I tried it it no worky. I think it tried to attach the whole folder and it was too large...any suggestions anyone?