new to the site, soon to be an STI owner

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by scoobaru, Jul 9, 2007.

1. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Hello everyone, name's Lenard im 22 and live in snellville/loganville. Looking to purchase an 04-05 sti in the next week. Just thought id get on here and make an introduction post....I was referred to this site by Miranda, and hope to meet some more subaru enthusiast!

2. FACE

FACE Active Member

Welcome to the site bro!

3. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Welcome!! You won't be sorry!

All STis are nice, but you should probably research the differences between '04/'05.

4. FACE

FACE Active Member

I would push you to get an 06 or wait for the new STi!!!

5. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

'Cause we all know the '04's are t3h bett4r.

Welcome Lenard!!

6. thebigph

thebigph longing for another subie Supporting Member

you could buy my 03 wrx with 350 hp and a 6 spd with and sti block for less than an sti would be...but if you have your heart set on an sti then i'd get that. welcome to the wrxatlanta

7. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Grats, there are a few of us out here in the loganville/grayson/snellville area, though less and less of us who actually own a subaru...Welcome!

8. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

welcome to the boards duder

9. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Snellville FTMFW! welcome aboard..get an 05+ :)

10. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

thanks for the warm welcome everyone....ive been doing a little research, honestly i was looking for an evo...then decided id move towards the STI. What are the pros/cons of the 04-05's?

11. 1naplay

1naplay Member

Welcome!

12. Meredith

Meredith Banned

04 Stis have really weak bearings....

13. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Word!

Welcome tot he community :D

14. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

welcome!!!!

04 = teh suck, but 05+ = teh kickass

Best of luck on your purchase, and I hope you pick a 05+.

Miranda's car = teh kickass... too bad they didn't work out and club race that bitch... caged car = teh :pssh: for the street IMO.

Anyway, welcome, and best of luck,

--
    Brian

15. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

apparently... I can't spell the... anyway... welcome to the forum

16. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

Lenny wazzzzzzzzzz-up dawg!!!:wavey:

17. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

yuh!!! whazzzzzzz up dawg!!

18. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

whazzz up guys!

weaker bearings in the 04's eh? Any other cons? Im looking at a 04 with 41k miles...mods are a TBE with fix and a boost controller. Asking price is 19.5k.

I appreciate all the replies!

19. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

yuh... if you plan on tracking an 04, then forget it and consider and 05. bearings on the 04 = wrx bearings = teh suck

best of luck!

20. Ashley25

Ashley25 Member

Welcome to the family!

+1 vote for the '05

21. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

haHAHHAHHAA,,, ARE YOU SRIOUS?

22. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Right now i dont plan on tracking it, my plans are to do a few mods to it and use it as a somewhat daily driver. I have a 78 transam that i will mostly be spending money on restoring. The sti may see the dragstrip a couple times, and i would eventually like to maybe get it on a roadcourse or something. For the price difference in the 04-05's i imagine you could upgrade the bearings...which is why i wondered if there were any other cons in the 04's.

23. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

also, is it just me, or is the classifieds section empty? there are a few ads in the general, but when u go to the car classifieds its empty!

24. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

transam cars are cool.... my grandmother used to have this car back in the 80s that had a good eagle on the hood and it was fast :)

25. Ashley25

Ashley25 Member

Track and road course = same thing, on here at least.

And yes Brian, I am serious.

Are following me just so you can pick on me? 2 Can play at that game if that's the case ;)

26. Meredith

Meredith Banned

You have to upgrade the whole hub... not cheap at all
    http://www.6gunracing.com/products.asp
    $1000 just for the kit... plus you'll need new rotors and wheels, don't forget installation.

27. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

really??? hahhaha.. if you are serious, go clean the house!! or cook some dinner!

28. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

indeed... 05 hub swap is expensive, but hoppe will take care of you!

29. Ashley25

Ashley25 Member

***sighs***

30. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

hahhhahahha.. . accept it.. .women are dumb.. except my wife ;)

31. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

how will my roommate take care of anyone??

32. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

you need to understand that hoppe is a true, fact of life, pimp... he harvests the awesomeness of what he is, and stores it in a big silo, and if you buy his sh!t, he might share it with you...

33. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

oh you guys are talking wheel bearings? I feel dumb. So if the car is just for daily driving with a little spirited driving i should be ok with an 04? As im guessing hard abuse on the suspension will cause the bearings to wear out?

Sorry for the dumb question...first time into an AWD import, or hell, and import period!

34. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

yeah, if you aren't tracking teh car, then the 04 STi is a kickass car. It is essentially an 04 WRX with the kickass 2.5L block, STi heads and vf39 goodness. You will be happy with it if you don't intend on extensive tracking. The wheel bearing are the same as the the 02+ wrx, so they aren't horrible, but not on par with the 05+ STi.

Best of luck with your purchase, and welcome the forum!

35. Deke

Deke Active Member

The wheel bearings are fine on a daily driver. Other than the difference in hubs and bearings, the center console is different on the 05.

Really, don't worry about the bearings unless you are just building a track car, which you're not.

36. Matt

:rofl: :rofl:

you should have come out to our meet last week. he was there! He shares plenty with me....your mom being one of them ;) :rofl:

37. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

yeah, the 05+ wrx/sti has a different console, but the 04 STi is a kickass car if you don't intend to track it.

We would have bought one if those bastards at SOG would have let us test drive one (my wife and I bought an 04 wrx, and upgraded to an 05 STi, as SOG wouldn't let us test drive an 04 STi when we bought the 04 WRX....)

Best of luck!

38. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

haha,,, my mom is 800 miles away from Atlanta, so I doubt you two shared her.... I met Hoppe just over a week ago, and I do certify that he is a pimp :) and all that are worthy can gain from his extensive knowledge (don't know if I am worthy yet... , hope so ;) )

39. Matt

:rofl:

he'd get a kick out of this if he were in town and I were showing him....I've known him too long...he's just tom hoppe to me. ;)

40. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

awesome, im keeping my eye out for an 05 at a good deal.

But the 04 i mentiond.....41k miles, its wrb with the gold bbs's, tbe and a boost controller for 19.5k Does that seem a little cheap? all the others ive looked at have been more. SOG has an 04 with a TBE and 29k miles for like 26k. I plan on going to test drive the car, im trying to get someone familar with subarus to tag along with me to check out the car, but if i cant find anyone i considered asking the seller if they minded taking the car to SOG to get checked out...would SOG do that for me?

41. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

like i told u on the phone ....if a seller is not willing to that.....run...run...like the wind:rofl:

42. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

haha for real man...wonder what itd cost me for them to check it out? if they'd do that for me.

43. thebigph

thebigph longing for another subie Supporting Member

they're too new i think you should go for the 03' rare blaze yellow highly modded wrx's. lol nah i don' tknow that there is any problem with any sti. i think they should come with better tires. i am no expert though. if you change your mind on the sti though and want a sweet deal on a wrx i know many people on here that can vouch for my car...

44. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

^ haha, i looked at your car and its sweet! but, im not into the bug eye front end as much, and yellow is my last choice in color. But if it wasnt for those two things, id be all over your car! thanks.

45. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

call up there and see?;)

46. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

will do.

And ive had mixed opinions about this....is 19.5 a fair price for an 04 with 41k miles?

47. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

by the numbers thats a good deal, but there's more to it than that. Condition, CARFAX, tire condition, maintenance, paint work, and on and on... The dealer isn't going to sell you something shitty, so that's an option. No matter what you get take it to SOG for an inspection!!! I almost bought an '06 black on gold with 24K for $25K two weeks ago. I'll see if it's still for sale for you. That was a killer deal. I bought an PSM '05 with 19K for $25, which is the best deal ever.

Edit: This one is pretty nice... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282746 Don't be afraid to make a road trip if you find the perfect car for you.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  48. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

thanks! let me know about that 06 black on gold.

49. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

Welcome, And Whatever Year Sti You Decide To Get You Will Love.

50. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

well..im iffy on the 04's now

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007