New Wheels and NEW tires

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by JJang12, Jan 13, 2005.

1. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

I'm geting new wheels tomorrow. Instead of Rota 18" Tarmac II Hyper black, I chose to buy good quality BBS STi rims. After I got Pink springs, my ride got significantly harsher. (I don't mind, but my uneducated passengers complain...) I'm sure that 17" will give me better ride feel compare to 18".

The seller might include tires which has around 12K miles on. He informed me that they will last only couple thousand miles more. I'm planning to burn them during the Feb track day. My new tire choice will be Toyo Proxes 4 P225/45/17. It has near 95% grip of T1-S but can be used all season.

Do you guys think that I made the right decision??? -->> Choosing LIGHT & Strong Forged wheels over Knock off, GOOOD looking, casting wheels. I still got time before I make final decision. so let me know

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

if ur only planning on keeping one set of rims then i guess the best thing to do is go with light and strong rims...

i have 2 sets... 1 set is ADR and they look SWEEEEET... they are not the lightest in the world and the tires are not even z rated... this is primarily because i don't push the car too much on the streets so i'd rather have tires that are cheap, will last me a while and rims that look good... when i autocross, i switch to the stock 16 inch rims with victoracers on them

3. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

I'm gonna check out alex's wheels more carefully today. damn... i want 18" for bling bling!!

4. RADON

RADON Member

I have rotas and bought them locally new for $550. There are quality rims and I would not own them if they were not. Being inexpensive, if one gets damaged severly, I can simply replace it for around $140. With the money I didn't spend on $2K rims, I bought a full turboback exhaust and AP.

If a forged rim get damaged, can it repaired? What amount of damage can be repaired (ie. curb rash, small dings, etc) and what would it cost to do so? Does repairing the rim affect the structure and/or longevity of the rim?

It really all comes down to personal preference on looks and budget.

5. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Radon: Haven't heard from you in a while! Whats happening man? You should try to stop at northpoint tonight, I want to check out your ride. Plus Alex,Milo,and Bobby will be up there.

Let us know man. Thanks

6. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

radon, where did you buy your rotas?? is there dealer in ATL area who sells Rota that cheap??? I'm assuming that you paid $550 (included tax right??) for your 17" SDR. That's like $100 cheaper than other vendors. awesome!! hook me up!

7. RADON

RADON Member

I bought the rims/tires at Discount Tire. They had to order them. They were asking $650 for the rims, but I haggled a little and since I was buying tires as well, they dropped the price a bit. You may or may not have similiar results.

I may be able to make it to NP tonight. Won't know till much later today.

New post up on SE Nasioc. Maybe pick em up cheap.

8. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

I just checked that. try to come out tonight. I'm 99% sure that it'll be raining, but at least we can meet up in person.

newayzz... what tires did you get and how much for whole thing???

I was quoted as $102 per tire for 225/45/17 of Toyo Proxes 4 and $131 for T1-S. PLUS $17/tire for mounting/balancing.

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I would recommend the PilotSports Cup 2 tires with your STi rims. Unfortunaltey, my wheels are quite dirty, but you're more than welcome to check them out.

In terms of curb rash, you simply sand down that area you wish to repair, puddy, sand, puddy, sand, paint, clear. Now the problem is, the last place in the US to sell the Gold BBS and Silver BBS matching paint I believe no longer sells the paint. Why? I dont know. I need to repair one of my wheels at some point, but it isnt too high on my priortiy list right now.

Lemme know if you have anymore questions.

10. RADON

RADON Member

Discount Tire's has one price for everything, including mounting and lifetime balance/rotation. The only additional cost is if you want to purchase the warranty per tire. I always get that option as I've had to replace 4 out of 8 tires on my past 2 vehicles thanks to Atlanta's highways.

I think I paid around $110 + $10 (warranty) for the Falken GR Beta FK-451's. Great summer tire, but they sucked hard in snow and ice when I drove home for Christmas.

11. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

pilotsports cup will be too over kill for me. I want Toyo Proxes 4 cuz it got really good Wet traction which i need during ATL summer season plus pretty good grip during cold weather. I might get really good track/summer tire for my 16" stockers.

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Ah yeah, I forgot to say, Falken has some incredbile tires nowadays.

13. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Have you checked TireRack.com. They have good prices, but mainly the reviews on each tire. One thing you want to consider is road noise. My tires that I had on my 02 WRX before I totalled it were so loud I hated them. I now have Potenza S03's. They had the best tread life rating, and lowest road noise. They are silent. I don't hear them at all. They are a bit more expensive though.

14. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

DAMN... the seller backed off and sold them to the other buyer. I guess he offered another $50 or so. very very sux.... :mad: :mad: oh well, that's my sign... oh well, i guess i will get 18" Rota Tarmac II Steel Grey after the track day.
    I will stop by Discount tire to make rotas tire combo deal

Newayzz... My current available funds will be invested in to Crucial UP/DP.