Newb DSLR - Which one...

Discussion in 'Art & Photography' started by lostinthewoods, Jan 31, 2007.

1. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I would say that it's well worth looking at used ones as well (assuming you're currently looking at new). A lot of DSLR people have upgrade-itis and you can score the previous generation model for a good deal often. The glass is what makes the BIG difference, not the # of megapixels, so if you are on a budget I would highly recommend focusing on getting some good lenses and then a decent used body.

3. lostinthewoods

Good point there about the lenses. Well my catch is I am in a position to get the D50 or the 350D Free, so its just deciding on which one.

Decisions ...

4. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Personally I'd go with canon. I'm used to higher end canon's so i'm not sure how those stack up against the d50. Both brands will be great, but canon's a little easier to use and their lenses are the best in the world.

5. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

With either, you won't really go wrong. Not sure about the mounts for Canon, but I know that the D50 doesn't have universal compatibility with all Nikon lenses. Hopefully Nemesis can chime in as he is a Nikonhead....

6. Demo24

Demo24 Member

They are all pretty good. I have the D50 and really enjoy it. However all of them can get you great pictures

I would recommend going and looking at them in person. I've been a little more fond of how the Nikon feels in my hands.

7. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Yeah, it really comes down to a personal choice: both Nikon and Canon are fine products with a huge assortment of lenses and accessories available. One thing to keep in mind in Canon's favor is that it's usually easier to rent Canon lenses should you want to do something specific for a weekend or something and don't want to spend $5-10k for something you might use once. :)

I'm a huge fan of the 10d/20d/30d Canons; they just feel solid and all the controls are where I think they should be.

8. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Pretty sure all canon lenses are a universal fit. It's been my impression from many professional "wedding" photographers (i did wedding videos for two years...arg) at least...that they're either using canon already or wish they had to start out with. Not saying that you are or aren't going to use it professionally. Just what I've gathered over the years from people with a great deal of experience, have expressed that point when I confronted them with the same question Nikon vs. Canon. Don't get me wrong of course it's up to personal feelings about the camera, features, and intended use. Hell, I'd freak out if I had a chance at either the nikon or the canon. But I'm a video guy, so unless I come up with 15k to 25k I don't stand a chance at owning what I usually shoot with.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  9. lostinthewoods

Awesome feedback guys. I am still curious what nemisis has to say.

10. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Another thing to consider is what are you going to use it for. If its just for taking pics of the new baby, and family shots, you might want to look at some prosumer point and shoots as they will often take better "out of the camera" shots. Most, if not all DSLR's do minimal in camera processing. This allows the photographer to post process the picture to his or her liking. However, if you get one for free then again, just go for the one that feels better in your hand.

11. lostinthewoods

Yes one reason for the new cam is due to a baby on the way, plus I figured it was time to move up from the point n shoot since it seems to always be in the wife's purse LOL...

12. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

More or less. Some (notably the 18-55 'kit' lens) only work on certain DSLRs. Pretty much ANY EF mount Canon lens should work on any of the DSLRs though. They royally pissed off people some decades back when they switched to the EF mount (necessitated by technology changes their old mount couldn't support, if memory serves), but have stuck to it since. Nikon I think is backwards compatible WAY back, though 95% of DSLR users would never really see the need to screw on a mid-70s manual focus lens. :)

13. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Thanks for bringing that up; I tend to mostly think SLR-only, but it is a valid point that some of the nicer point-and-shoots will produce more usable pictures right off the bat. It's kind of like espresso machines (sorry about that analogy, been explaining those to people today): you can get a superauto which gives you a decent, consistently nice result, or you can get a more manual one that gives you the POTENTIAL for better results.

Point-and-shoots are also nice in that they're compact and you don't need to lug a bag of lenses around. I have a DSLR, but wouldn't mind a mid-high range point-and-shoot for just regular snapshots or carrying around when I'm not particularly looking to take pictures..

14. Demo24

Demo24 Member

your right there. We got a Nikon N65(film) just before the digital cams really took off and those lens's work perfectly in my D50.

15. I like my d50. But Ive never used a canon so my opinion is kinda one sided, I say go to a camera store pick up each camera and play with it. If you like the way it feels and its in your price rage then get that one, but keep in mind Nikon phasing out the D50 and replaced it with the D40 so if your going to go Nikon you might want to look at the D70 or D80.
    When I was asking what DSLR to get I was told to keep in mind im buying into a family and once you go one brand it tends to be costly to convert to the other unless you just stay with the kit lens then you can sell and trade over for a little loss.
    But form what ive seen on forums i visit you would be disappointed with either one.