Nikon D80 vs. Nikon D200

Discussion in 'Art & Photography' started by thebigph, Nov 16, 2006.

1. thebigph

thebigph longing for another subie Supporting Member

anyone have personal experience with either of these two cameras and what would make one better than the other. from what i can tell and i'm new to SLR's they're both SLR (obviously) and they both are 10 mp's. what else makes the difference. i am looking at shooting scenery and cars and sports mainly. thanks

-phil

2. thebigph

thanks i'll check it out i went to dpreview but couldn't find anywhere to compare cameras

3. Some quick differences.

I use a D200.

D80 isnt 5 frames per second
    D80 is plastic while 200 is magnesium alloy
    D80 isnt as weather proof as the D200
    D80 does not support fp mode for flash
    D80 uses SD cards and not CF like the D200
    D80 does not have 4 customizable setting banks like the D200
    D80 lacks MLU makes it pretty much useless for macro and long lens work.

Lower end/ entry DSLRs are cameras you grow out of, and high end DSLR pro level cameras are cameras you grow into.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d200.htm

This quote sums it up though

"the D200 is solid, heavy and mostly metal. The D80 is plastic like the D70s. My D200 is a solid tool while the D80 is a very high quality toy. "

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

5. thebigph

so bottom line...the d200 is worth the extra money?

6. In the long run Id say so. However, it just depends on how serious you plan on getting into photography. If I was planning on staying out the business and doing it strictly as a hobby, a D70 would have been fine for me.

Now you might want to consider purchasing a D70 and using the extra money for a nice lens rather than a kit lens.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  7. RADON

RADON Member

8. Both the 18-55 and 18-70 kit lens are excellent lenses. Both are very sharp.

However most places such as wolf provide Quantaray in house type lenses which suck hardcore.

The D50 is something you will definitly get tired of within a year of shooting.

9. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Isn't the 18-70 the one with horrendous barrel distortion?

10. From what Ive seen it isnt too bad, but depending on the body used it could get worse. The 18-55 on the D50 I used to own wasnt bad, but slapping it on the 200, it was very noticeable at 18mm.