No Boost! Help!

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by midnight_rider, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Hi guys! It has been quite some time since I have posted here but I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I posted this on the FB page as well. 2002 WRX . On the way to work today from a complete stop to accelerating to merge into traffic my car felt like it kind of over boosted in 1st gear ( I didn't see it on the boost gauge just felt it) and then when I shifted into second gear all of a sudden I had no boost. The engine is running fine. It idles smooth at normal vacuum and will accelerate but there is no boost at any RPM. I didn't have a lot of time to check things out under the hood but I didn't see any popped off vacuum lines on the boost solenoid or the wastegate actuator. I'm not sure if any codes were set as the CEL was already on due to an emissions issue so I will check the codes when I get home. I am thinking it either has to be a bad boost solenoid, a stuck wastegate, or the cat on the uppipe has broken and a piece of it is logged into the turbo. Anyone have any other suggestions, things to check, etc?

2. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

Vacuum or intercooler piping? Can you hear any odd noises when opening and closing the throttle under the hood?

3. I don't see any loose vacuum lines and hose clamps on the Y-pipe and intake pipe to the turbo are tight. No weird noises that I can discern. Additionally, wastegate actuator moves back and forth freely

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  4. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Make one of the many online DIY boost leak testers. You can make it for less than $20 with parts from Home Depot. That will help eliminate if it's a leak or not.