Noises and wobble

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by AK_Raptor, Mar 22, 2013.

1. AK_Raptor

AK_Raptor Member

First off im driving an 04 STI about 85k miles on it. Ok so i was driving on the highway when my steering wheel starts shuddering bad to the point where im fighting it to keep in my lane. so i pull over do a quick visual inspection start up again going slow wobble still there pulling to the left. get out again did a quick check pulling on everything to see if anything is loose couldnt really do to much on the side of the highway so started up again wobbles a little more then stops. Made it back to the house and now here i am. Also ive noticed at times when im turning a popping noise seems to be coming from front passenger side. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like a wheel bearing

3. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

i concur. i've seen a wheel bearing so bad that when you lift the tire off the ground you can wiggle the wheel a fair bit. Not sure it that applies to everytime a wheel bearing is out, but in your situation I'd try it for giggles :p

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

are your lug nuts tight?

jack up the front, grab the tire at 12 and 6 and see if you have any play. if none then grab at 9 and 3 and do the same thing. First will tell you wheel bearing, second will tell you tie-rods or worse steering rack. Odd and or excessive tire wear is also an indication of both issues.

5. AK_Raptor

AK_Raptor Member

Replaced passenger side cv axel. Dust boot was torn causing massive damage.

6. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

85k on a '04, nice man. I got 71k on my '05

7. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

Just hit 59k on my 05 :) I'm pretty sure Chip's 05 is really low too. Glad you got everything worked out as I'm sure that shuddering was extremely nerve-wracking!

8. Justin V

Justin V Member

Did you really wait a year to fix it?

27K on my 07... always broke

9. AK_Raptor

AK_Raptor Member

No didn't wait a year just lost touch with the forum for a bit