Oh what a weekend

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emstraumajunke, Apr 25, 2006.

1. So im moving my fiancee over here from panama city last weekend I get over there Fri. night and help get her packed get it all loaded up and on our way here. Well Sat evening around 4pm we head out and get on florida hwy 77 and right in the worst part of the road where a cell phone never works my car dies. DEAD in the water dies. So i wait and wait and wait. and finally got a tow truck to come and get my car and tow it to a shop which is 75 miles to the east of where im at, which is 75 miles in the wrong direction. well i get in my girls car and head home. I called the sho yesterday Towig wqas going to be 196.00 but they felt bad for me so 120.00 storage suppose to be 30.00 a day but they felt bad for me so there not chargeing me. so total cost 120.00 and gas for my friends truck to get to panama city and tow my car back( on a flat bed). UGh just had to vent. Not to mention got a new TMIC today and cant even put it on.....damn my bad luckOh well had to vent

2. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

so why did the car die?...sorry to hear about your bad weekend

3. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

sorry to hear about the horrible weekend... keep us updated on your car

4. dont know why the car died yet. I refuse to let a ma and pa shop look at it im bringin git home tomorrow to see fi i can figure it out. Il actually have tools here.

5. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

good luck bro.....I'm sure there's some people here that can help ya:hug:

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Man, thats shitty. Keep us updated as to why it died. Were you doing anything in particular when it happened?

7. nope i have been babing the car for awhile now. I think its going to be a wire grounded out somewhere. Cause my o2 Cel has been showing up alot and last time i looked at the wire they were melting away and everytime i moved them they ended up back (reason 2 for exhaust wrap), but im thinking the finally melted down to bare wire and ground out casue the car to go funky and die i know it sounds weird but its the only thing i can come up with. cause i was crusing about 55ish or 60 and notice a wired smell so i turned my a/c off and then it died. and it will try to trun over but thats it plus one of the 30 amp fuses under the hood was blown, and when replace with another one it still wont start./ Ill know more here in about 12 to 15 hrs.

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

that really sucks dude... let us know when u find out what happened

9. Alex

Do you think it just caused a short ?

10. Well that wasnt the problem, I put a new fuse in it undid the O2 sensor wire still nothing. I have no tail lights and i dont think i hear the fuel pump kick on when i first turn the key on. Also i plus my Access port in and it keep saying error. Im hopiong the shirt i have or had didnt cause the computer to go bye bye. Its almost like the ECU just took a long vacation and there was nothing i can do. SO i guess im going to look and see if i can find a used ECU for cheep.

11. WHOA! Alex - Who is the chick in the avatar pic? hawt.

And not to totally hijack - when I was driving my WRX through Florida, I kept having to turn off the AC because it kept freezing up from all the humidity. If your car is finely tuned, it might have been the weather change that helped it die... just a thought.

12. *UPDATE for those watching*
    \ECU is gone took it out and took the cover off and you can see where the ristor is burnt and fried i took some pictures maybe someone will know what is burnt and what could of cause it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  13. Alex

Terrible news about the ecu, what the hell you happened ya think? However, there is good news! I'll be sending you your shirt tomorrow!

A model from Lithium Playground.

14. Even more bad news after looking at the wires i find this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seems to be B135-19 which ends up being self shutoff control....Whatever in the hell that does i dont know. but looks like i might need a whole harness now. So i guess the next thing im going to sale will be either my gauge cluster access port or an Sti intercooler of all of it depending on ho much a harness cost looks like 399 for ECU and probaly a few hundred more for the harness. Happy freaking birthday to me.

I was looking at the wrong motor i think. thats for a SOHC the DOHC make B135-19 the GRN Sensor for
    1. Throttle Postion sensor
    2. Rear o2 sensor
    3.Engine coolant temp
    4.EGT sensor
    5. Tumble generator valve p[osition RH & LH
    6. Pressure sensor
    Needsless to say that one wire dose a shit load of things and its fried on my car again Happy birthday to me.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  15. Alex

So, that's why we ground things properly then right?

16. Yep....As always i learn shit the hard way

17. Alex

I know what ya mean all too well.

18. flip

flip Member

So what did it turn out that wasn't grounded correctly? Didn't see if you mentioned it...

19. Im nto 100% sure im thinking it was a ground on the fire wall i found today that looked to have been arching for quite awhile the wire was pretty much burnt and melted and you could see it had been arch welded several times and broke loose several time plus it was semi loose.

20. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I think wrxguy was sayin somethin about the ap burning up the ecu after so many times of reflashing.. or something like that maybe he will chime in.

21. Alex

Perhaps, however Ivan just bought the AP this month.

22. I dont think that was it mainly because it was B135-19 which is a ground sensor on the ECU pin out( yea learned alot today) and with the ground wire i saw looking the way it did not to mention the fuse that was blown and so on. im lead to belive that it was that one wire and me replacing the fuse before finding out why it blew, but i was 4 hrs awa from home and needed to get back but none the less lesson learned just goig to cost me my turbo upgrade and a few other things. But ill just park the car in the yard cover it up and let it sit till i can afford to fix it.

No no ive had the AP for over 6 months

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  23. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Not exactly that knowledgeable with these cars but it happened shortly after the protune which could also be pretty ECU related. I guess I'm just being the devils advocate. The short seems likely as well! Did you ever remove the upper intake and undo the green and white ground wires?

24. The protune dont have anything to do with it. Iwish i could blame this mishap on someone else, but i hink im going to have to bite the bullet on this one and say it was me when i installed the transmission 5 months ago. Its that one bolt that you sware you tightend but after awhile you find out you really didnt.

25. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Man that's a shame.....
    Sorry to hear about this.
    Hopefully, you'll have that good looking car up and
    running in no-time.

26. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

that is not true... when people say they are 'burning' (or 'flashing') the ECU, they are simply rewriting code on the ECU... doing this over and over can render the ECU unburnable... however, it will not cause shorting of wires
    a software flash will not cause this... the flash simply rewrited the code... particularly the lookup tables (correct me if im wrong scott)... it wont change the current flow through the harness... im quite certain the problem is hardware related

27. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

You are correct Milo, all we are doing is rewriting the code on the ECU.

The cool thing about the AP is that you only change the base map twice during the whole tuning session. The ECU's are "guaranteed" to be reflashable 75-100 times, but I've never heard of one that had an issue at under 200 reflashes. This ECU likely only had maybe 5 total base map reflashes. I get plenty of ECUs that have 70+

The rest of the AP tuning is real-time on a RAM type section that can be written infinitely.

Unfortunately, this looks like a loose wire situation. Hopefully the full extent of the damage can be seen and fixed. Worst-case, new harness...

SS

28. IM going to replace tha harness just because id hate to half ass fix it and then the saem thing happen later on down the road. Id reather spend the money now and have it done right instaed of half assing it and it breaking again

Well i got off my ass tonight after work and went outside to chase the wires down and noticed the wire that was burnt made a U-turn. like this i dont know if you can follow it in the picture.
    [​IMG]
    So i get semi happy thinking that one wire going to a little black box could be an easy fix then i find.
    [​IMG]
    So i think im back to a new harness. But dose anyone know what this little black box is for and what it does[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  29. Alex

Hmm, not really sure man; however, I do think replacing the entire harness is the way to go. Who knows what other unforseen problems lay in there.