Oil filter?

Discussion in 'General Community' started by josh booth, Feb 19, 2011.

1. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

What oil filter should I put on my car? I know the OEM Subaru is crap so what oil filter should I start running?

2. thrasher722

thrasher722 Member

I have always read that OEM is one of the better filters. There is a thread on NASIOC about this but NASIOC is down right now so I can't find the link. Subscribing to the thread to see if I can learn anything new.

3. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

No, the new OEM filters for H4's are made by fram and they are crap. You can use the H6 Black Filter on your car. I ahve been using it for over a year with no issues. Also, I elieve the OEM Mazda RX-8 filters from 2008 is also a Tokyo Roki filter that has the correct relief spring and correct size.

4. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

I think Juston at Six Star stocks a reverse-engineered "old" filter.

5. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

wow, i'll have to look into this
    i've been using napa gold or bosch/purolator
    *stay away from fram/k&N/mobil 1 and you'll be fine*

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

The Napa Gold Filters are made by Wix and are awesome filters.

Heres the thing though....it doesn't matter what filter you use.

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

H6 Filter, S2000 Filter, RX-8 Filter :)

8. thrasher722

thrasher722 Member

Now that NASIOC is back up I have the Unabomber oil/oil filter link but I can't find the one that compared the different filters that I saw a few years back. From what I remember, the OEM was good (or used to be, I can't believe they are made by Fram now:wtc:) and it said to stay away from Fram. I have 2 OEM filters left and then I guess I will move on to something else.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499177&highlight=oil+filter+review

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  9. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Thanks guys....

10. nygiant

nygiant Member

purolator pureone has the best filtration. the newer version of oem filters are shitty i've read/heard

11. John

John Active Member

Have any of you guys actually ever seen any kind of problems that were caused by an oil filter though? I know I haven't. Besides the occasional bad gasket, but thats usually due to someone opening the case of filters with a box cutter lol

12. 2010subiefoz

2010subiefoz Banned

If you think the oem filters are crap. Then if you have a Forester and I believe wrx you can use the following filters. They are the only ones on the market that have the correct bypass setting at this time. Aside from oem.

ej25 wix 57712
    Ej 25 napa gold 7712
    Ej25 napa pro select 27712

These three filters are all made by wix and have the 23 psi bypass.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

13. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

been using autozone filters and never had any problems. Why are those brands getting negative reviews?

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

because someone on nabisco said so

15. integroid

because you cant say anything on the internet that isnt true.

Seriously though, there have been tests that show which filters actually filter better than others and the internal construction of them. Google it.

16. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

This. I've been using the S filter for some time now with no negative side effects

Sent from

17. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

I only use k&n or royal purple. Never had any issues

18. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

+1 for purolator!

19. 2010subiefoz

2010subiefoz Banned

Personally,

I say while under warranty play the warranty game and use subaru filters or direct oe replacements like the wix, and napa gold, that way if crap hits the fan then you will more than likely not be denied on a warranty claim since you've played the warranty game. Once the power train warranty is over with use whatever filter you want to use.

20. integroid

If you want to be completely safe, use the H6 OEM Subaru filter. I dont think they can deny a warranty claim just because of an oil filter. Their new filters are made by fram so anything is better than the OEM H4 filters.

21. tallgeese2

tallgeese2 Member

Yes but not with a subaru. newer ford f150 with the 5.4 or 4.6 motors. Alot of the aftermarket oil filter will restrict the flow of oil to the heads and damged the camshaft as will with the ones with a cardboard base the cardboard will breakaway and stop up the oil passages to the heads. We replace alot of motors cause of this. Anytime we get a motor with a bad came bearing or shaft we look at the filter and almost all the time its aftermarket.

22. tallgeese2

tallgeese2 Member

Honda got there dick slap for doing this. They can not deny a warranty for a aftermarket part or a aftermarket shop doing the scheduled maintenance. They can only deny it if the shop or the part modifys the car. So if joe shop is doing the oil changes on your car and at 20000 miles your motor gos they can not deny your warranty. If they do, you can take it to the bbb and you will win. Like i said Honda got hit with doing this to people sayin if you dont use honda brand fluids your warranty will be void. We all got a email at ford about this. They said if any of us as techs are going to void a warranty it better be a damn good reason. Just dont let the dealer scare you about this stuff.If you use a napa filter and it kills your motor they cant deny warranty. if you put a bigger turbo on and it kills your motor then yeah your screwed

23. 2010subiefoz

2010subiefoz Banned

Good point. If it makes a person sleep better at night during the warranty period to use oe products then by all means do it. If you're not concerned about it then use what you want.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.