Ok Linux users, help!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BelvnAWD, Jun 26, 2005.

1. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

So, I am trying to play with Mandrake 10.2 (Mandriva LE). I donwloaded some source for a program I want to try. I know I need to unzip it using the bunzip2 command, but I am not sure what to enter after bunzip2! Do I need to point it to the source, how do I do that? Could someone post a screen capture of opening a source file in Konsole since that is what I am trying to use? I am a total noob here!!!

2. BelvnAWD

This is a screen capture of what I have done so far...

Attached Files:

3. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

ask LostInTheWoods hes a linux user

4. BelvnAWD

Yep, hoping he'll post!

5. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

If you get lost hit me up on AIM... I don't use Linux on a regular basis but spent a decade on unix boxen.

6. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

bunzip2 <filename>.tar.bz2

For a .Z file try the following:
    uncompress <filename>.tar.Z

*the .Z file is created from using the Unix/Linux compress utility*

Next issue the tar command:
    tar -xvf <filename>.tar

Good Luck. :wavey:

7. BelvnAWD

LITW,
    When I dl'd the file, it went to my desktop. Is this where the file needs to reside? I tried the Bunzip2 command, but, as in the screenshot, it said there was no such file. I will try the uncompress command tonight and see what happens...Thanks! Moose, if I can't this working, I'll dl AIM and hit you up...

8. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

you might want to move the file elsewhere. otherwise when you uncompress it it'll put everything on the desktop.
    Make a tmp directory, mv the file there, and then uncompress it. It also looks like you need to change into your desktop directory. It looks like that's why you're getting the file unknown error. Its probably under the /home/UserName directory.

9. lostinthewoods

Follow what PED suggested.... damn you PED :rofl: :rofl:

:D

10. BelvnAWD

Found the problem! I had actually unpacked it correctly, it just needed some C++ Libraries installed. My Father in Law showed me how to figure it out! Thanks for all the help!

11. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

good to see you got it figured out. Gotta love the library dependencies. You'll really grow into liking linux.

12. lostinthewoods

Good job rock star

[​IMG]

:pssh: :pssh: