Old retard finally opened up my stock 5MT

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Cool_____, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

My old stock 5MT lived at 350 hp for 97000 miles and 500 drag launches before 3rd gear let go while simply passing a car casually (not WOT and only pressed gas to pass and maybe 5 psi). I got a 6MT and gave the busted 5sp away.....dude finally opened it and sent me the pics of it.

Yup 3rd gear is SHREDDED.

[​IMG]

2. cMags

cMags Member

Crazy. I saw a couple shredded gear sets like that on the used parts shelf at AllPro yesterday. What year 5MT was that? Was it one of the older "glass" ones or the beefier newer one?

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

2004.....the beefy kind. It helds it's own at 500 drag launches....prolly 50 of them were 11 sec passes.

4. nygiant

nygiant Member

considering the power levels, number of miles, and your 500 launches....i think it held up pretty well. what year trans?

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

beat ya to the reply but it was a 2004 wrx

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Interesting. Thanks for the pic.

7. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Same happened to my old transmission. I was driving normally and third just gave out. That is why my name end it up being brokenwrx. lol

8. John

John Active Member

The clutch in my old Legacy failed under normal driving when shifting into 5th (center shattered)....but that was after A LOT of abuse.

They never seem to break while you abuse them lol

HAHA - A guy on LegacyGT.com is telling me that you can't hit 400hp on any 5MT. I would think if you can do 350hp for 97000 miles, then 400 would be doable as well

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  9. jeb

jeb Member

I think once you get to around 350 whp its not a matter of if they will fail but when. Mine failed almost the same way but it was second gear. Rolling up to a stoplight, down shifted and second went out. It was probably around 3000 rpms.

10. John

John Active Member

any car part failure is a question of when and not if. it just happens faster when you add more power to them

11. Jake

Jake Active Member

i was curious on your PPG forsale thread what the 'infamous' 4th gear synchro in wrx trannies is?! i've heard of 2nd and 3rd gear going out all the time because of either too much power, or shitty drivers.

ps. i know it wasn't you who said it, just bringing it back up. cuz im unaware of it

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I dunno man but the 2002 bugeye my coworker has with 130K miles and 333hp, my old one, and the 2002 wagon with 140k here at work has ZERO synchro issues. Now they all had the hard to get into 1st/reverse at time but if you pop into 2nd then 1st/reverse it slid right in but NEVER had synchro issues while moving.

13. Jake

Jake Active Member

i never had any synchro issues. the only 'common' issue i've heard was 2nd or 3rd exploding when someone shifted like an asshat, or had ~400+tq. my front diff exploded, but that was due to a wreck i had where the driver's side wheel was hit and knocked the front diff out of alignment, causing it to eat itself