Omg.. It Happened

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by WrxCrazy, May 28, 2006.

1. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

it did happen, the tranny is the weakest part of a 02 wrb..
    one of my friends tryed to drive my car,
    first thing he did was rev it up high in 1st gear and then tried to change to 2nd and boom.. my tranny is busted dunno what happend but it dont wanna do the 2nd gear and all other gears r hard..
    it makes a noise loud enuff for me to hear on every gear..
    i need help.. i'm taking the car tomorrow maybe to royal subaru and see whats wrong with it..
    by any chance i need major input..
    the sound i hear from my tranny is huge clicks
    maybe the teeth grind out.,.. any1 know whats going on? car runs fine but i lost 2nd gear, also all other gears take a sec to go in.. and my 3rd and 4th gear makes a farting type noise when shifted in.. help me. :wtc: :wtc:

2. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

step 1, kick friend in balls
    step 2, kick friend in balls

3. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i did that next step plz :( :wtc: :wtc:

any1 also know how much it should cost for rebuilding the whole tranny?

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  4. Kreeger

Kreeger Member

Same thing happened to me with SS at the wheel tuning my car, except it was 3rd gear. Well, an RA gearset($1600) and ~$1500 (rebuild + labor) later and it's good to go. Rebuild was done at Prestige Subaru in NC. Labor was done at SOG. So figure on about $2k to $3k for rebuild...

or get a used tranny on eBay for around $1000 shipped.

5. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Sorry to hear it man. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. :hs:

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

7. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Hey. Cryo treated RA's? I say beg steal or borrow and get that bad boy. It sounds like he'd let it go for around two if you can come up with that much or you might be able to work the deal.

Let me know if you need a ride or something.

8. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

For a little qualification (so people don't think I'm a tranny killer) Kreeger had a V7 STi motor with a BIG turbo and FMIC on the stock TS tranny... we all knew that it might not hold the torque of the new big turbo...

Starting at 2k rpm in 3rd, as it spooled at 3600 it just ripped the teeth of of 3rd gear.

(I just don't want people thinking I was abusive)

SS

9. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

man..that sucks bro! the tranny for sale on the site is a really good deal..Id snatch it myself if i had the funds..let us know how it goes.. good luck man!

10. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i'm looking to get that tranny.. not sure abt price.. lets see how it goes.. i mean this is going from my really in need money stash and it's already low :(

11. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Ouch! Definately look into Veck's tranny.

13. Kreeger

Kreeger Member

Sorry, Scott.... I didn't realize that came off sounding like that until I re-read it in the quote you made :D

Absolutely true... I was LUCKY to get as much outta the stocker for as long as I did, and if it did not break during your tune, I am 200% sure I would have busted it on the way home!

Car's running great, BTW...

14. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i'm looking into veck's tranny but i cant afford 2 k for that.. overall used..

15. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

still MUCH better than getting another stock tranny

16. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i'm getting veck's tranny ;)
    he offered a good price i cant resist and also milo i'm getting ur rims and tires ;)
    btw i got a really good price on puttin in that tranny into my car from arnold also getting my grill panted oem blue..
    i'm one happy mofo right now :)
    veck plz pm me soon abt that tranny i got the money ready for ya..

17. WJM

WJM Banned

SoG may be offering transmission rebuild services on a regular basis soon...PM me for details.

18. suby113

suby113 Member

Goodluck man Glad you got one for a deal I know if i was in your shoes I would be desperate and want to get it fixed asap! I can't handle anything being wrong with my car!:eek:hnoes:

19. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

me 2.. thats why i'm getting it ASAP as in tomorrow

20. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

Hey man, sorry to hear about your tranny. It was bound to break sometime anyways. If you can drop the cash for that ra set than you'll be ready to fly.

21. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

shady. glad to hear you got a new set of gears....RA in fact...just chalk it up to an upgrade that is just happening a little sooner than expected...

22. Goose013

Goose013 Member

check nasioc also for a used tranny

23. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

thanks vall and scott for those nice words.. i'm abt to pick up the tranny at night from veck..

TRANNY PICKED UP & READY TO INSTALL TOMORROW
    i hope i sure get my check tomorrow so i can pay for tranny installing..
    thanks veck btw i left you a feedback for the sale :D

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  24. veck

veck Member

Did you get it installed yet?

25. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

yes it was installed next day..
    it runs good..
    i like it..
    the 1st gear is longer but 5th gear became short or whatever
    i mean before on stock tranny at 70 miles per hour the rpm used to be 3000-3100 now it's 3400-3650 so i was wondering.. what u do to the tranny or it's suppose to be that way??

26. veck

veck Member

With the RA gears first is indeed longer while the rest are spaced closer together. When you get on it you should notice much better acceleration.

Because of the shorter gears 5th gear crusing speed on the highway is higher by a few hundred RPM's.