Once again Allpro FTW

Discussion in 'Allpro Subie Service & Performance' started by crazyazn, Feb 16, 2012.

1. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Took my subie out to Allpro to get my car aligned, trying a less aggressive camber setup (sacrilegious i know :p). Car got aligned without any drama, aside from my car showing its Virginia roots with some bolts.

As always, everyone was super friendly, it was my first time seeing them at the new shop and Brandon gave me a bit of a tour of the office area. Really sweet setup overall.

2. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

I was serious about wanting a review on those tires once you get back from the mountains!

Have you noticed any difference in sidewall stiffness etc?

3. crazyazn

So far the major differences I've noticed, the Michelin's are a good bit quieter than the Starspecs, and I think the wet traction is a ton better, but then the Starspecs were never an issue in rain either.

As for sidewall, I'm not really sure yet, the feedback i get in the steering wheel and the turn in crispness feels just as great as the Starspecs. No heavy driving yet tho.

4. brooks22

brooks22 Member

Star specs hydroplane a little more than i would like them to but wet traction is awesome with them.

5. crazyazn

Ok so, got to log some fun driving with these Michelin PSS's. Overall, I'm very happy with how they performed. The grip was amazing, the same if not better than the starspec's. They were very quiet at the edge tho, so I had a couple times where the car washed out slightly but no tire noise, but it was far from a full slide or anything.

Taking a few passes on the dragon while basically brand new was totally fine. The first two passes it was a little squirmy from all the tread, but the tires only got better as the day progressed. They were very grippy, and at the end of the day, there is still a huuuge amount of tread left on the tires (very different for how fast the starspecs would wear).

Another significant note for those who daily their cars. The wet traction was better than I first mentioned, I would say it rivals my all season Continental DWS's. I never had a incident of even a hint of hydroplaning that on occassion at highway speeds I can get out of the starspecs.

So in conclusion, so far so good. The tires performed amazingly well, I think the only concern left for me is how much mileage I'll get and how that compared to the starspecs and the cost/mileage ratio considering how much more these tires were to the starspecs.

6. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

you already killed the starspecs?!

7. crazyazn

Yah I actually killed them back in november when I went for my first trip to the Dragon. Wore the fronts down to the belts on the insides from all the camber i had. Also, I kinda over drove them and they got really high in pressure and the centers wore down. Still got about 13k out of them, so not bad when basically all of those miles were spirited driving.

8. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

hot damn, guess i should be happy with 18k and still a little life in the tires

9. crazyazn

Yah, I'm hoping for 18k on these michelin's because man, they were pricey. If not, prob back to starspecs, they're are great for the price, just really loud, these michelin's barely make a sound like the continentals, yet still have a nice stiff sidewall.

10. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

What was the price difference at time of purchase between the Starspecs and the PSS?

11. crazyazn

Going through discount tire both times... The starspecs out the door installed onto wheels I got down to $715ish out the door, the PSS's came out to $924 out the door. So to some it's probably not a huge price difference, but that's almost 200bux that could have been going to my kitchen or eventually towards the interior of the subie.

12. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

I love my PSS's!