One Thousand One Hundred & Forty ... Served

Discussion in 'Vendor Chat' started by Doug@DBW Motorsports, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

So Scott and I sat down today and had a brief discussion about all the vast knowledge we have gained from tuning just about every combo of parts available on suby's over the last half decade or so. That then turned into a discussion about how many subys we have tuned each in total, and memorable setups... blah blah blah. Then how its nice now that only after one or two pulls we know right away that something isn't right or whatever, you know two typical overly competitive guys BSing.

So it all got me to thinking, and I grabbed all my old laptops I have used for the last years to pull all the files off and start a count. Honestly it took me a long time to figure out the old PW's as I haven't used them in years. But none the less I was able to open up all my old files and start counting the different cars tuned. Now to be fair I didn't want to count the same car twice, even though there were many cars I had tuned multiple times with many different setups. No I only counted each car once, had I just counted the maps on my computer and called it done the numbers would be in the tens of thousands range.

So after spending a huge amount of time, I finished my count at 1,140 total different cars.

1,140 that's just an insane number to sit back and think of, that is just a huge amount of Subys.

Here is an interesting analogy to think of. Imagine you were terminally ill and needed a heart transplant. Which doctor would you go to the one that has done the operation 3 times but has read every book? Or the doctor that has done it over a thousand times with great success.

To me while your car won't kill you I see no difference in the two.

Disclaimer: This is not directed at anyone so don't take this the wrong way and get your girlies all bunched.

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Damn...congrats :)

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

that is insane. Just you right? How about Scott? How many has he done?

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Everyone needs to start somewhere.

Hence why doctors get training WHILE they practice.

Heres another anology. Why ever try anything new? You go to McDonald everyday because they taste good and have served 'billions.' Does that means that one day you wouldnt try, say, Checkers, just because they havent served as many or some people dont like their food? Who knows, you may LOVE checkers!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  5. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Thats true which is why I tuned my car, then friends, then friends of friends and so on for about 8 years all before ever doing it as my main business. In total I have been calibrating ECU's since the mid 90's but only have been doing it to pay the bills since 04. I can remember back when the HKS f-con was a box with about 8 rpms setpoints that made global changes to timing and fuel. Then had some dip switches that adj the injector size. Or when Motec, and electromotive were run on DOS only.

6. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I think you should throw a party when you reach 1200. Congrats and keep up the great work!

7. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Not sure about Scott but I would bet he comes in just under that.

8. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Second. I wouldn't let anyone except SS/Doug touch my car :) just thought i would put a second perspective out there.

9. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Not even close to the same.. I guess unless you get really sick.

10. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

in other words, you have to start somewhere. Get your name out there by working for/with someone with a positve established reputation...and then move on. I never saw a chef that was successful opening a restaurant right out of school. It takes years of apprenticeship and training. Not just one or two good dishes.

11. FACE

FACE Active Member

I like the doctor analogy. You never hear that doctors preform medicine...you hear that doctors Practice medicine. If you had to choose a doctor would you choose a "smart" doctor or a doctor with "great hands" ?

Myself would rather have the good hands.

Doug, congrats on your tuning numbers! This is what counts, LOTS of practice! I expect an invite to your 1200th tune party :wiggle:

TOPSPEED FTMFW!!!

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

That is an impressive number of cars. What do you think the total number of runs you have made?

I know my car has made 121 pulls alone.

13. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I was wondering how long it would before someone tried starting stuff. I will put this as easily as I can. We have seen tooners come and go, I honestly truly could care less you guys are trying to do subaru stuff. In the end its just going to be more work for me.

What this entire thread was supposed to be about is a conversation between Scott and Myself. Nothing more... nothing less.

14. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I haven't checked it since last year sometime but we were over 15k runs on the dyno then. I will check it when I get to the shop as you now have me interested.

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Haha Doug between you and Scott my ECU has been flashed 121 times :)

Congrats. So I think it's safe to say between you and Scott TOPSPEED has tuned to the tune of 3000 Subarus. That's not even counting all the other makes you two have tuned (Evos, Nissans, Hondas, Supras, etc).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  16. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Just checked the dyno computer, we have a total of 18,183 runs on the dyno as of today.

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Hey Doug just out of curiosity. How often do you or Scott tune a Domestic?

18. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

If this thread turns south, it will be locked. This is intended to be a congratulatory thread not a shit storm of horrible comparisons. I have yet to read one comparison that is presented correctly OR makes sense...

If you compare two related scenarios by the "advantages or gains" without considering the "disadvantages or losses" you are missing the big picture here.

I do not care how far you think you can piss, this is not a pissing contest.

19. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

That is damn impressive Doug. I am very glad we have the tuning knowledge and experience, as well as availability of other tuners in the area.

1140 is a damn big number. How many of those do you estimate are Subaru's Doug?

20. longfury

longfury Active Member

I think that is JUST the Subys if I read it right. :eek:

BTW, got your canbus cable Doug? :sx: :rofl:

I wanna have a second car in that count. ;)

21. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

I figure Doug has probably got near 10% more tunes than me. So I better get to checking on how close to 1,000 I'm at ;)

Siegel

22. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

[comment removed]

Back on Topic. Congrats Doug and Scott! Thanks for the awesome tune and great customer service from the two of you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.