One way streets and red lights

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Deke, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Deke

Deke Active Member

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile (especially those that are in law enforcement). What are the rules about taking a turn at a red light. Obviously I know that right on red is legal. But what's the deal with taking a left on red in relation to one way streets? Is it legal if you are doing it onto a one way street? Is it only legal when you're doing it from one one way street to another? Or is it legal at all?

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I know its legal to take a left on a one way street from a one way street but thats all I've got for you.

3. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Ask bluelinescooby.

Mark

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Some of them specifically say "No Turn on Red," even at the one way to one way. A common mistake Ive noticed is that people will mistakingly turn on red from a 2 way onto a 1 way (like 5th St to W. Peachtree by GT).

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

A left on red is only legal when you do not have to cross over an oncoming lane and a "no turn on red" sign is not present.

6. Yep, it's legal as long as you're turning onto a one-way street and there's no sign that says otherwise

7. Deke

Deke Active Member

Wait, so it's legal if you're turning from a two way onto a one way?

Haha, that example is pretty much the reason I'm asking.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  8. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

I'd also like to know about turning from a two-way onto a one-way. Leaving Publix next to GT and turning left onto Spring Street to head back to campus, it's a 2-way to a 1-way, but there is never anybody turning from Spring Street onto the road I'm pulling off of. I've seen many people just take the corner, and I even I did it a couple times, once with a cop just coming over the brow of the hill who proceeded to do absolutely nothing.

Craig

9. I'm sorry, I was meaning from a one-way street onto an one-way street..... if you were turning from a two-way street you'd have to cross oncoming traffic at some point, which is verboten at a red light

10. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Mistakingly my ass! :fawk: I do it because 5th dead ends on W Ptree, so the only oncoming traffic that could possibly come would cross directly in front of you anyway! So even though it is technically a 2 way onto a one way, effectively it is the same as a one way onto a one way.

I will not stand for ineffeciency like that. Or if you are a sissy, just turn into the stinger lane for the in front of the management building. That light used to be on a pressure switch so it would turn green as soon as you got there, but they may have fixed that wonderful little loop hole...

11. Jake

Jake Active Member

bluelinescooby, correct me if i'm wrong. But isn't it also legal to make a u-turn at any red light if there is no oncoming traffic, as long as there is no red arrow?

12. Not legal as far as I know...... you're crossing the stop bar into the intersection against a red light to make a left turn (of sorts)

13. Greg

Greg Active Member

You can only make the Uturn from a stoplight if it is green(or green arrow), with clear traffic in the oncoming lanes. Watch for the "No U-Turn" signs though, they usually stick them on a pole in the median, so by the time you get to the stop line, the sign is behind you and not visible.