Only good things...

Discussion in 'Allpro Subie Service & Performance' started by jautry27, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I've only heard good things about All Pro. I just wish I could afford to use them. My mechanic has had all the parts necessary, plus already been paid up front for labor, and 3 weeks later, he tells me he needs a "special tool" and it's now going to be another week before my car is done. If only I could afford to use all pro. Being on a once monthly disability check from the military is a bitch.

2. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

livejournal.com

3. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. jautry27

jautry27 Member

5. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Oh, and it seems now that the only thing holding my mechanic back is a cam lock tool. If anyone has one I can borrow, I will gladly give you money and sign a contract! I would give up my left nut for this tool right now...

6. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Become a WRXATLANTA Supporting Member and get 10% off labor take an additional 5% off labor for being a veteran (w/ valid Military ID card).

7. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

10% for supporting a forum, 5% of defending your country, cmon Pat, you can do better than that.

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

or he could not. its a private business, he can choose to do whatever he wants. We recently caught hell at lowe's from 'Vets' because they didn't have proper ID, and we started enforcing it to get your 10% discount. But that's our choice, and guess what, its a free country and we can do it. And on top of that, it was to protect the REAL Vets who were legit from the assholes who were using fake ID's or better yet, never had one to begin with and just said 'i left it at home' every day

9. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I agree. It is a private business. I'm not looking for a handout b/c I am a disabled vet, just merely expressing how much it sucks b/c of how little I get paid, and how little I can work. Although, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Right now, the biggest help anyone could give me is lending me a cam lock tool for my car. I will gladly give money and sign a contract for it.

10. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

A total of 15% off with already cheap pricing. I think that is more than fair personally.

If I had the tool...I lend it for sure. Good luck with finding one. There is probably someone here that either has one or knows of someone.

11. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I've called dealership after dealership and none of them will lend the tool or even outright sell it to me. I'm kind of stuck at ground zero right now. I cant even get a hold of someone at Subaru HQ to get info on getting one.

12. Jake

Jake Active Member

13. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

most people use an old timing belt. try looking for one of those

14. jautry27

jautry27 Member

how would they use an old timing belt? I still have mine.

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

i have to say though, this is the WRONG car to have on a limited income. Hell its the wrong car to have on anything less than $40k a year. they require regular attention and even more after modding.

16. jautry27

jautry27 Member

well, here soon, my disability is going to go up, so I will be fine, it's just making it to that point. It just REALLY sucks that my engine seized up 2 days after I bought it.

Keep your fingers crossed though, I think SIX STAR Subaru in Decatur is going to either sell me their cam sprocket tool or loan it to me.

17. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Slow down there, I wasn't being serious. I know Pat, I know he can take a joke. I did business with him whenever needed to, which is why I did write what I did. And I have their logo in my avatar for that same reason.

18. Jake

Jake Active Member

nah, i think its a legit issue that needs to be brought up. military discounts are abused on a daily, no hourly, basis across the country.

19. jautry27

jautry27 Member

All I ever do is ask once about a military discount. If they say no, then I leave it alone and call it a day. Never hurts to ask once.

20. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

i know it may seem expensive, but all pro has the best prices out, hands down. a lot of the local shops outsource their projects to them b/c they can do it quicker and more efficiently than they can in house.

the only other option is learning to do it yourself. that's the route i was forced to take, and i'm glad i did. You'll know your car inside and out.

hang in there...if i could help you out, i would, unfortunately i dumped my subaru and all associated specialty pieces / equipmnet a couple years ago

21. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Well, I've pretty much given up. Subaru won't even sell me the tool. All Pro said I could used theirs if it wasnt for the fact that they have to use it almost daily. Now, I'm forced to spend a couple hundred dollars on a tool that I will use once.

What was supposed to be a 4 day job, has just turned into a 4 week job. Like I said, if I had the money, I'd pull it out of the shop it is in, and take it to them.

22. Jake

Jake Active Member

you cant tell the shop its at to refund you your prepaid labor?

23. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Have your mechanic call Brandon tomorrow. He will give him step by step instructions on how to use a $10 tool he or you can pickup, rather than spend a couple $100.

24. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Brandon told me a way today to tell him, about using a hole saw, and if that is the way he is talking about, my mechanic is refusing to do it. He says, and I quote, "It's too much like N---er rigging it". I will definitely have him give Brandon a call though.

25. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Regardless though, just like I said, this is the last time I will be using him. I will definitely be using All Pro from here on out.

26. jautry27

jautry27 Member

They say you learn from your mistakes...well...I officially have a Ph.D now...

27. Jake

Jake Active Member

again, demand your money back and tow the car to brandon.

28. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and if he doesn't want to listen to Brandon's advice and call him on how to do it, then I'll pull the plug.

29. 07Ltd#767

then you're fucking stupid.

look, don't come on a site looking for help, then refuse it because your dipshit mechanic can't complete a simple task. If he doesn't like it, send a flat bed out there, pick up the car and take it somewhere else. you always have an option, stop playing the pathetic broke card and get your shit taken care of.

sorry if this sounds harsh, but this site has spent the better part of a day telling you how to complete tasks that most of us have done in our own garage. if you want pity, go else where. if you want solutions, then listen.

30. jautry27

jautry27 Member

All I asked for was advice on how to get it out. As I said before, If I could afford to, then I would go ahead and take it to All Pro. But right now, I can't afford to. Yes, you can criticize and tell me that this isn't a car to own on a tight budget. Point is, I had saved up to be able to buy. Everything was hunky dory until the engine seized up. I had a little extra in case something like this happened, but not $6000. It sure would be nice to have that kind of money laying around.

Point of my story is though, I came on here for a little friendly help and advice. My mechanic paid up front for my clutch and CV Axle, so I will have to take the cost of that out of the labor I prepaid him, so unless ALL PRO can finish the job for $700 or someone wants to fork over the difference, then I'm stuck with my mechanic. Yes I am having a little trouble with my mechanic, but I never asked for anyone to come in here and run their God Damn mouth about my decision making. People make mistakes. Shit happens. Fuck it. So what if I made a bad decision, but I have to roll with what I can afford right now. I looked for a little help getting the tool I needed. That was really what this was about. Instead, all I get is some fucking ass breath down my neck.

I'll listen all God Damn day long, but that doesn't change the fact that I can't afford to take to someone else right now. My

31. 07Ltd#767

then what do you want from us? sorry you got screwed, sorry your mechanic sucks, sorry you think i'm / we're being assholes for telling you that youre neck deep in shit.

look, we can only lead the horse to water. nobody has your tool, and your mechanic can't fix it. again - wtf do you expect from us? Even if we could give you a cam gear tool (which, in case it isn't obvious, nobody uses), it sounds like your mechanic wouldn't know which end to use.

if you want help, there are multiple people on here that have done what you're doing, many of us in our on garages. if you want sympathy, go to a fucking AA meeting, we're not here to hold your hand through the rough times.

and, fwiw, a clutch is what, $300? cv axles, $80 each? I'm not sure what you're spending $6k on, but i can assure you your mechanic isn't hurting for his 'hard earned labor.' there's nothing in that car worth $6k, except for maybe the shell as a rolling chassis.

32. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Which cam gear is he having trouble with?

If you are going to buy a hex socket get something like this

[​IMG]

stay away from this bs

[​IMG]

If its not an avcs cam bolt just drill it out. Once the head is the bolt off the rest will come out easily with your fingers.

I have put together a few of these engines and I always start by using the timing belt to remove the cam gears. If any bolt even gives me the slightest trouble I go to the drill.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  33. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

[​IMG]

Stole this from RS25, I googled "subaru timing belt trick" and it was on the 1st page of images.

**Edit**
    saw that someone posted similar image in chat, but maybe leaving this here will help someone in the future.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  34. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I posted this earlier. just use an old timing belt FFS.

if drew and I can do it halfway through a handle of bourbon with limited, broke ass tools and half a mechanical engineering degree between the two of us.. I hope you can.

35. Jake

Jake Active Member

you mean, his mechanic?

36. b reel

b reel Active Member

why is this in the Allpro section?

37. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I'm sorry but I have a feeling that you are just doomed. Your mechanic is just gonna end up costing you more money in the end cause it'll likely not run right. These engines are so stupid easy to work on yet a bit different.