Open Source Tuning

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by wileycoyote0022, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Just out of curiosity how hard would it be to tinker with a tune safely on a open source platform. I found only one right now (havnet done heavy searching yet) RomRaider. Someone give me some more info about how to or why i shouldnt? Let me be clean, Im not wanting to do this to make MASSIVE power gains, just to be able to make a cleaner tune than off the shelf cobb tune. I cant imagine it being that hard if you have a little know how....

2. Justin V

Justin V Member

Its easy and kind of nice, but I still don't recommend it.

I bought my car from a guy who wanted to tune it him self. When I got it protuned the tuner laughed at the map. After spinning a rod bearing I am pretty sure was caused by the tune (fuel washing the cylinders, no boost to seat the rings led to big consumption problems).

My first pro tune was open source and was nice to have access to it. I had no idea what I was doing but I could turn off codes and when I bought some ID 1000's I could adjust the scale for them and limp it around to get a retune.

4. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; SCH-I545 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.117 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I had this thought for a while. Its surprisingly easy to get the data and edit it. The big problem is know what all to change and by how much. So I gave in and got protuned. The most I do now amd adjust target boost seasonally bc I tend to over boost in really cold temps

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

6. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

You really can't get any cleaner than the Cobb off the shelf tunes.....they are off the shelf for a reason.

7. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Yeah. They are pretty safe. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone blowing anything up from a stage I cobb tune (and honestly can't remember someone blowing up from a of the shelf stage II either).

8. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure digitized blew his first motor on stage 2 cobb map

9. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

If the motor itself isnt stable before the tune, putting more power through it is just going to make that motor blow faster...

Just sayin'...

10. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

It wasn't an OTS map.

11. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Nope. It wasn't OTS map.

12. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

i'm running a s2 OTS map for basically about 150,000 miles