Opinion on car tools

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mad Mallard, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Everyone chime in if you feel like it.

I feel like I have some gaps in my toolkit.

Assume an EJ engine of some kind, is your starting point and you have 100~200 to invest in tools. Say you're starting from scratch, just for sake.

What would you go for and why?

2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I would start with a good ratchet set along with ratchet wrenches, all of those are a must. I need the latter, they would save a ton of freaking time.

Actually, my next tool investment will be a comfortable mechanics sled (i guess that's what it's called)...seems I'm always under there and I'm tired of laying on concrete.

3. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

a 6 point only craftsman tool set would be an excellent starting point and is within your price range

4. techlord

techlord Active Member

I would probably get one of those $100 set's like the 155pc craftsman. I have seen them on sale for 75-99 bucks. Maybe a cheapo corless impact to start.

Check CL for deals and you can piece together good metric sets as SAE is useless for our cars.

5. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

it's called a creeper. EJ engine, I'd work on a nice set of metric tools, and ratcheting wrenches. 32mm for axle nuts, and some offset metric wrenches. a set of socketed hex/allen keys is a must.

and a good pair of gloves for the busted knuckles that will ensue. a nice drum of cheap kitty litter for fluid spills, a fluorescent drop light, a cordless impact

6. Mad Mallard

side note: I have yet to find shop gloves I like or fit well.

I've taken to looking at US Cavalry for police/military gloves. I'll letcha know how it turns out.

Keep the suggestions coming. Feel free to drop links if you like.

7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

gloves like that are disposable for the most part. I wear holes in them and get them shitted up pretty fast

8. 07Ltd#767

My favorite gloves are the gardener gloves that have the blue rubber palm / fingers. As long as you don't get tons of grease on them they hold together pretty well. Even when you do...just wash them and they're good as new.

9. Mad Mallard

wear holes in kevlar? O_O

10. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

It's called a creeper.

I agree, a good set of sockets and a good gear wrench set would be a good start. Also just a standard screwdriver set. Once you have those, I would look into some power tools. A cordless drill or better yet cordless impact wrench will definitely come in handy.

Check out Harbor Freight. For $200 or close to it, you could probably get all the above mentioned tools.

11. ptc075

ptc075 Member

Completely agree, a good socket/wrench set is mandatory. Make sure you pick up some of the other misc bits that go with it, such as a universal joint, reducing adapters, a few deep sockets, and a breaker bar. Also a 3 foot steel pipe for extra leverage.

I haven't heard anyone mention a decent floor jack and 4 high quality jack stands. I'd consider that a must have for any serious car work.

Fire extinguisher
    Drop light
    A few nice screwdrivers and one bad one with a hammer.
    Channel locks
    Needle-nose pliers
    Plumbing torch for stuck bolts, or WD-40/PB blaster
    Vise or some large C-clamps & a sturdy table

I don't know what you call it, but those magnets on a snake that you use to fish out dropped bolts is super-handy. I also recommend getting a box of sandwich bags to keep nuts & bolts together, especially if it's going to be a long project.

-Chris!

12. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

i would have to say if you can get magnetic screwdrivers.... saved me a couple times... also depending on what your doing fender mats, magnet trays, also an adjustable mirror- really helps to see where you cant- another good thing is a stripped socket set, dont know how many times i have had to go borrow that.

13. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I second techlord, craftsman set is a great investment

14. gte123v

gte123v Member

buy some ratchet u-joints, definitely useful for tight spaces and weird angles trying to get to a bolt.

15. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Funny this comes up now, I talked about doing a nice toolset to sell a while back. Ill post up the list I've got so far

Sockets both deep and shallow
    (Specific Sizes) 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 22mm, 32mm, T-70 torx, Torx for STI fuel Rail,

Full Set of Screwdrivers.

Full Set of Picks

1 Roll Pin Punch for Axles

1 Large Reverse Pick for Couplers

Fullset of Extensions for Sockets (Snap-on Wobble Plus)

Prybar Set

Magnetic pickup tool

Hose Pliers

Needle Nose Pliers

Diagonal Cutters

Long Handle 3\8ths ratchet

Short Swivel Head 3\8ths driver

Long Handle 1\2 inch ratchet (Snap-on 80 tooth)

1\2 inch impact gun (Snap-on 18volt)

Also Ratcheting Wrechs in the same sizes as the Sockets (not 22mm)

If you have an early wrx you need a 21mm for the tranny drain plug.

Thats what I keep in my rollcart when I'm working on a Subaru.

16. slowwrx

I'm a little biased in this respect but personally I think its worth the money to buy quality tools...and I'm not talking about Craftsman.

If you feel like you will be wrenching on cars for the rest of your life then buy Snap-On tools. Snap-On also has the BluePoint line that is cheaper but the finish and the ergonomics aren't as nice, they are nicer than craftsman.

Also you can get the same slide top rollcart I use for 315 dollars.

17. I agree Snap-On Tools are some of the best, if you can afford them. He siad he had a budget of 100-200 bucks. That would only get him a 12 piece set from Snap-On.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/gift...re&giftSale=3&giftSaleName=GIFTS+UNDER+%24250

Dont have to have the best to get the job done.

18. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

craftsman quality has gone downhill recently, and they will try and give you rebuilt ratchets :unamused:

19. 07Ltd#767

I agree...my ratchets are horrible now and often drop the socket head if i'm not holding it secured.

Last time I was at home depot they said they would straight up trade me a brand new Husky piece for the faulty Craftsman piece. Both sets are lifetime warranty (I think, at least last I heard...), so while the quality may not be the best, it will definitely get the job done.

20. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Member

The Craftsman professional tools are pretty nice. The nice thing with Craftsman vs Snap On, MAC, Matco, etc, other than the cheaper price, is that its easier to get them replaced. Just stop by the store and swap it out.

I would stay away from the Harbor Freight crap. Their jacks and jack stands are ok but most everything else will just aggravate you because the tools are so cheaply made.

I would suggest a good torque wrench be on your list also.

A few years back I picked up a metric and standard set of the Craftsman Pro ratcheting wrenches and they are really nice for working in tight spaces. Their not cheap, but worth the money.

21. Mad Mallard

See, i've heard that Craftsman has come back around in the last 4 years.

I saw something kinda cool at walmart, a floor jack with an LED in the cup.

22. slowwrx

If you are going to buy ratcheting wrenchs that aren't snap-on I would suggest the gear wrench brand. As for Torque wrenchs...the only one I would buy would be snap-on...sometimes things are expensive for a reason.

Also Snap-On ratchets now have a 80 tooth dual pawl design that has way more load capacity than any of its compeitors and it only takes 4 degrees of movement to to engage, the closest competitor is matco at 12 degrees of movement.

If you are on a budget buy cheap sockets and nice ratchets.

Personally I've had a broken ratchet stick in my arm so I don't use cheap tools anymore. But I also use mine more than most people on here so its worth it to me.

I view my tools as an investment, I Snap-on tools from my dad and granddad that have been handed down and they still work perfectly.

23. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Member

24. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I have a couple gear wrench sets and I must say they are nice. They're generally a bit more innovative about it as well it seems.

25. WJM

WJM Banned

Hmmm...

There have been a few small changes to inventory and layout, but otherwise its close to the same.

26. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

so how much is snap on paying you, and can I get in on it?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  27. slowwrx

They aren't paying me anything anymore. My brother and one of my friends both own franchises. I've worked with both of them.
    Like I said if its a tool I plan on having for a lifetime...I buy Snap-On