Opinions on Clutch Upgrades?

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by TheJ, Oct 23, 2005.

1. TheJ

TheJ Supporting Member

I am considering a clutch upgrade in the future. Does anyone have an opinion to offer on upgrades that would still be suitable for a daily driver?

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

bump... i'll be looking for a clutch soon too... any input would be appreciated

3. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

Good daily Driver clutches would be ACT Street Disc, and RPS series clutches in a full disk or a sprung puck hub type, or the STi discs for WRX owners are good choices as well.

4. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yea..after the track it looks like i will also be exploring a new clutch..possibly tranny or gear upgrades..

5. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I've got an Exedy organic. I've never driven with a stock clutch but this one is very smooth, though it seems like it needs a little bit of heat before it engages smoothly (something I've heard about most aftermarket clutches).

6. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

i think most break in around 400-500 miles

by the way here are some prices and info for ACT

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  7. GTscoob

I think I've put ~1100 miles on my car since I got it back, so its plenty broken in I'd hope.

8. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

at the dyno day they were saying stock clutch is best way to ride....i dunno much about em but i have 90k miles almost on mine (original clutch) and im gonna have to replace soon.

9. Tray@topspeed

Tray@topspeed Member

I like my RPS 6 puck Sprung. Its the same as Genya's.

10. GTscoob

Good to hear you got the new clutch in.

11. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

glad someone posted about this, i'll be replacing my clutch very, very soon. need all the info i can get as well. i would like to get a clutch that wouldn't be a bitch to drive in the spaghetti junction mess everyday!!... and still hold the torque my car is putting out.

-drums

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

For an 02 WRX I would stick with the stock clutch unless you are upgrading your gears as well. Having the clutch as the weak point is a good idea.

Stock clutch = cheap
    New Tranny = expensive

I have 25k miles on a OEM stock clutch since I did my 2.5 swap and plenty of mid 12's runs on it and it is still holding strong. I thought I had toasted it at the import showdown but it did just fine last week at Commerce.

13. Goose013

Goose013 Member

There's a good write up on nasioc about aftermarket clutches and which ones will fit your needs....I read it but don't have the link; so search for it :)

14. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

Well I just found out that my car has the ClutchMaster light weight flywheel... Does anyone know if it will work with other clutches or will I have to stay with the ClutchMaster Stage 3 that is currently on my WRX?

I'm leaning toward the RPS 6 Puck Sprung... Don't have the extra cash to buy a new flywheel :(

-drums

15. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

Woo Hoo! Just found out that it will work with other clutches!!

Now anyone willing to give a helping hand with the install???

-drums

16. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

Well get off your lazy A@@, and find the link for us.......gezzz

17. Goose013

Goose013 Member

I'VE BEEN TRYING BUT NASIOC IS DOWN!!!! :moon:

18. Goose013

Goose013 Member

Do you ever get a cell from that flywheel, I've read they sometimes cause them

19. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

No i haven't.

-drums

20. GTscoob

The CELs come from using a flywheel that is less than 13lbs supposedly. I've got a 12.1 lb STI 5speed flywheel at my garage that I may get installed someday. It's for sale if anybody is interested.

21. TheJ

TheJ Supporting Member

Btw

Thanks for all the feedback.

22. dlowman

dlowman Member

I say get a big ass stiff clutch. People will hear it rattle from a mile away, plus it has quite the entertainment value when you stall it in front of a crowd lol

23. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

yep

Ill actually agree with that.

24. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

When I finally have to replace my gears I am going to go with an ACT clutch.

25. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

I have a full faced stage 2 clutch from competition clutch for my legacyGT and love it. In the 5-20 degree weather of ohio it take a second to really warm up and grip but it works well and is very streetable. I put that with a 2.5rs flywheel since i wanted less than stock but more than the 13 pound lightweights. If i did it again i would go with this or an ACT since i have heard so many good things about em.