Opinions on Turbo

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Matto357, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

My goal is around 320 whp.

That is kind of the upper limit for a VF-48.

What are my other options out there other than a dom 1.5 (which I think would be overkill).

Not planning on replacing my 5 speed any time soon so 320 is my upper limit.

2. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

18g is very fun on a 2.5l

3. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

4. Al.SpecB

Al.SpecB Member

Maybe a VF52?? Thats what im running but I haven't put my car on the dyno.

5. Matto357

Don't think it would fit without a bunch of work. Outlet is rotated.

6. Al.SpecB

Al.SpecB Member

Doh! Yea you are right. Im think of the VF-46 which is a easy swap to the VF52. That's the first thing that popped into my head owning a Legacy.Sorry then an 18g would be a good fit to break 300+. There are BNR 18g turbos. Never dealt with them but heard good things about them.

7. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Stay away from BNR in my honest opinion. I've had too many friends who had to return theirs due to seals going out. BLOUCH get my vote. Actually the newest version of their 16g xt-r is the same as the 18g basically.

8. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Running a BNR 18g successfully thus far on my leggy for the last ~15k miles. Its done fine for me thus far.

9. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

We've installed quite a few of these 18Gs from BNR and they truly are great!

The last one we did made exactly 330 on a 2011 WRX so I would say that's the perfect choice.

Let me know if I can help!

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

There are quite a few BNR turbos floating around in the local ATL.
    Nice thing about it is I can drive to his house/shop at any given time and get what I need be it rebuild, custom or warranty work.
    It's nice to have someone stand behind their work and somewhat local if the need arises.

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

just make sure to upgrade the oil feed line or at least drill out the OEM banjo bolt to have the proper oil supply to the CHRA.

12. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

I only saw 2 turbos listed for subaru on BNR's website. I assume they offer more right?

13. b reel

b reel Active Member

yes he does, I'll call him to remind to update his site, house full of little girls so I doubt he has much free time LOL

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

so just got off the phone with Bryan and he has a 18g ready to go. order today maybe have tomorrow? Hell I bet Mike@TSM has all the supporting mods, injectors, EBCS, fuel pump and oil line in stock so you could be up and running by end of next week. ;)

15. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

I've got everything but the EBCS in stock!

Let me know if you need anything.

16. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Deadbolt....best 18g ever. Too bad he quit.

17. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

My 2005 LGT with bnr 18g 21psi pump 93 TS tuned. Ill be adding an exhaust manifold and inlet and be hoping to hit around 330.

[​IMG]

18. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

Is BNR in ATL? Know how much he wants for the 18g?

19. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

That looks like a great street / mountain setup. What are the mods you have done?

20. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

He's in Alabama.

He has changed some of the pricing recently so I will double check all of that and get back to you all.

21. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

AEM intake
    Perrin tmic
    Catless TBE/catless up
    Grimspeed EBCs
    Fueling and AP

I would think my results are alittle on the lower end of average, fyi.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  22. b reel

b reel Active Member

about all you really need for a reliable DD, anything more results in a flaming turd of a money pit.

23. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Yep, honestly if the OEM lgt turbo/oil line didnt cause for a crazy unreliable turbo i wouldnt have swapped to an 18g. But since i was going to a mitsu chra anways, may as well get a turbo with will support some more hp/rev range.

24. Matto357

Thanks for all the info.

Would I need a turbo inlet? Any need to go larger than 750cc injectors?

Also, I'm relatively gentle on my transmission and I know the more recent WRX's have a stronger 5 speed but how are modified 06 WRX transmissions holding up?

25. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Inlet and 750's are recommended. You shouldn't need to go larger unless you have future plans.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  26. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

cornfed ? = larger inj

27. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Skip the corn fed. KISS. Stick to pump gas and enjoy a quick subaru that has a chance of being reliable and lasting to 200k miles.