Ordered the transmission!!

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by GTscoob, Jan 25, 2005.

1. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Yesterday I ordered the new transmission.

For those that havent heard it is a ver5 STI 5speed.

It has these gear ratios:
    First Gear 3.166
    Second Gear 1.882
    Third Gear 1.296
    Fourth Gear 0.972
    Fifth Gear 0.738
    Reverse Gear 3.333
    Final Drive 4.444

It also looks like I'm going with an Exedy flywheel (used) and Exedy stage 1 clutch while everything is out.

Right now I'm tracking down random extra hardware for the swap and it should be completed in the next couple weeks.

Does anybody have an extra stock shift knob lying around?

-Bobby

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

no shift knob here... sorry

3. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

Ahh cool a 4.444 final. I will need to check that out sometime.

Jason

4. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

That's great man, bet you can't wait to get your car back. Hope all goes well.

5. GTscoob

Yeah I cant wait to get it back.

I'm kinda afraid of the power once I get it back though.

6. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Thats great man. I wish I had a ver5 Sti 5 speed. I think I might go with the Sti 6 speed soon. My car is at Top Speed right now gettiing looked at. Something is wrong with the tranny. It sounds like there is a little green man in the tranny and he is trying to get out, well thats what porter says it sounds like. So hopefully I will get it back soon and running right!

7. GTscoob

gr8wheels still has a ver2 RA tranny with DCCD

Its 3000 for the transmission back.

8. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

Damn... transmission surelly is one of weak item of wrx. I was banging like 7300 RPM today when i was driving. Hope that it'll last LONG time.

newayzz... Bobby, hope that everything will be installed perfectly!! prove us that you can drive manual WRX. lol jp~

9. Kreeger

Kreeger Member

You know, I've been lookin into that ver5 tranny from gr8 wheels, but I guess I dropped the ball :D I was thinking at first that I should complete my car with a ver7 6sp but I really like the range of the old STi 5sp. With all the people swapping over to 6sp, I will probably just build up a WRX 5sp with an RA gearset.

10. GTscoob

I was kinda afraid that it was going to sell before I had worked everything else out because the price was really good.

Lotsa 6speeds coming in lately but they're all money plus you have to get a new driveshaft and rear diff.

11. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Congrats on some forward direction! :bigthumb:

12. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

no doubt :D , let us know, i'm really looking forward to some sti 5 & 6 swap stories.

13. GTscoob

Well the current setup now is that transmission with an exedy stage 1 organic clutch and STI flywheel (I believe the 12.1lb one).

I've driven my friends 318 Bimmer a couple of times but this will be my first stick car and will be hellish to learn on but I'll deal.

14. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

oooh, i get it now, make your mantra "gently" LOL.

15. longfury

longfury Active Member

I have a stock shift knob somewhere.

16. GTscoob

Longfury, thanks but I think I'm just gonna drop the big dollars and get the super blingin OEM Momo knob.

17. longfury

longfury Active Member

Thats why i have the stocker :D

18. GTscoob

How do you like it?

19. longfury

longfury Active Member

Oh I love it. My hands are fairly large and the stock knob always felt too small. This one is much better and i like the weight of it too. It was my first mod and about the only bling on the car :D

20. GTscoob

All the parts are in now!!

I'm running them up to Scott first thing monday morning and then I should have my car running in a couple days.

21. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

22. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Def. awesome!!

23. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

We are all awaiting your return.