Out of State Tickets....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nygiant, Apr 15, 2010.

1. nygiant

nygiant Member

hey all

Ok, so this morning leaving from my lady friend's place, i got pulled over by the po-po.
    yep, apparently i did not stop at the stop sign.
    soooo, here's the thing. i moved to GA a few months ago, but still hold a PA license and tags and all that. the only thing thats changed over is my insurance address info. i have yet to change over my license and get GA tags because i needed a copy of my birth certificate in order to obtain a new license. i have not received my birth certificate yet, so no GA license and tags for me just yet.
    now my question is, since this is a ticket issued by a local GA police department, how will this affect me since i still have a PA license, which basically still labels me as a PA resident?
    GA doesnt know that i moved down here, or how long i've been here, or if i am just passing through on a vaca...will points be reported back and assessed?

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

everything I'm reading says they do not carry over into PA.

what part of PA are you from?

3. nygiant

nygiant Member

thanks!

i moved here from philly.
    so my understanding is that no points will be assessed or transferred, but i still pay the fine...?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  4. Matt

Ugh...wrong side of the state. :p

From what I read, you still pay the fine, and no points.

5. techlord

techlord Active Member

I would make absolutely sure, in ga (last I checked) running a stop was BAD 4pts.
    as bad as going 25mph over

6. nygiant

nygiant Member

really? ive been reading that's is 2-3

7. nygiant

nygiant Member

from www.dmv.org

Disobedience of any traffic-control device or traffic officer: 3 points

8. techlord

techlord Active Member

the only one I got cost me 4pts but this was in the early 90's

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

Not sure on the point system and transfer but do know that the databases are shared throughout the southeast and maybe the nation by now. Had drivers that were fired because of traffic tickets from out of state. Granted we hold CDL's but the tickets were while they were in personal vehicles.

10. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

When I was living in GA as a NC resident throughout college the points never carried over. I think you should be fine.

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

PA, NJ, NY carry points over from one state to another as for GA they do not for now...thanks to GWB for the DHS as this may change.

12. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Not sure how many points.. but I do know the fine was $185 in Sandy Springs... ouch

13. ThatScottGuy

ThatScottGuy Member

Make sure you don't let on that you have lived in GA for a while. I can't remember the time limit but after a month or so GA considers you a resident whether or not you officially changed your drivers license.

Saw a guy get ganked for that last time I was in court.

14. nygiant

nygiant Member

thanks for the heads up!

15. nygiant

nygiant Member

just an update on this...my court date is the 19th and the fine is $130.
    i've been reading that i should plead no lo contendere, but what exactly is that?

16. Matt

no contest...means you don't admit guilt or innocence

you can only plead it once every 5 years, so make sure you use it for a good ticket. :rofl:

You still pay the fine, but no points are given...but at this point, didn't we decipher you wouldn't get points anyway?

17. nygiant

nygiant Member

good point. so should i pass on going to court and just pay the fine online, and go on about my biz?
    also, i finally received my birth certificate, so i can get my hands on a GA DL and eventually a plate.
    how long after this whole ticket thing should i wait before going in to switch it over?

18. nygiant

nygiant Member

update...i was going to pay it online and be done with it, but i totally forgot to do so in time. by the time i could get to a computer, the online payment was closed.
    so i went in to court...on my way there, i did happen to see that very same cop, at the very same location writing more tickets. so i'm thinking, hmm, maybe shes on duty and wont make court. so i head to the court house thinking it will be dismissed. court session starts, the cop rolls in there like 30 mins late. i'm like, awww crap. so i abruptly get up, and walk out and go pay my $135 fine.
    tomorrow morning i am going to get my GA license finally.

19. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

where was teh ticket at, if you don't mind my asking

20. nygiant

nygiant Member

dont know the exact name of the area. but i was heading to buckhead from Smyrna via some backroads

21. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Damn I hope visiting your lady friend was worth it that night.:naughty: