Paint Match Found

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Mad Mallard, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

I dunno if I ever brought this up before, but I was looking really hard for a matte, graphite metallic grey paint.

This was to match the grille frame which wasnt flat black, and also had some metallic flake in it. I actually wanted to paint some of the trim pieces to match the grille, but I couldn't find anything close to save my life.

I finally found something that tests almost identically:

Rustoleum flat soft iron.

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-271473-Universal-11-Ounce-Metallic/dp/B00F87S31I

i'm going to post pics as soon as i have time, but thought i would share in the meantime.

2. Mad Mallard

so, i found a vendor who had oem STI hoodscoops selling on Amazon, so i scored a scoop using my Discover points and no cash~

I've roughed it up with a scotchpad to prep for priming, even though this product says its a primer i'm going to use an auto filler primer in a rattle can to get a base going.

3. Mad Mallard

I really should have primed and not trusted that the can said it was a 'primer paint.'

i got impatient. Pics tonight.

4. Mad Mallard

it looks a bit gray because of the metallic, but think of it as matching the plastic parts of the GD grille

Attached Files:

5. Mad Mallard

old flat black, unsealed...

[​IMG]

6. Mad Mallard

7. Mad Mallard

... well I liked it...

i'm going to use it on some trim pieces next; the black plastic around the rearview mirrors, the door handles and surrounds (paint worn off anyways), the wiper arms, and the surrounds on the fog lamps. As well as freshening up the grille.