Performance Upgrade

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Tank, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Tank

Tank Member

Now that I have some money in hand I want to make a performance upgrade on my car. Does anyone have any suggestions on a quality aftermarket Bluetooth Navigation head unit to go into an ’08 WRX. Mine has the base unit in it no navigation not door tweeters. I have other equipment I could pull from my 240 but not the head unit this car is going to get something a little special.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Pioneer Avic BT940X

3. Tank

Tank Member

That one is cool and does not seem to rely so much on being connected to my phone. I was looking at a Pioneer AppRadio2 but the reviews were not a good as I had hoped.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  4. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

What Matt said. I have the previous version x930bt and has been great.

5. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

same here, gps is a little wacky with the directions it gives but everything else is great

6. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I have the AppRadio and it's o.k. but you get what you pay for. There are some quirky things that irritate me sometimes, but it does what is designed for, and for $400 it was a steal. If I am listening to the radio, and plug my phone in, it's shuts the radio off and goes to the homepage. The parking brake bypass was as easy as installing a toggle switch. I put the switch in the spot for the seat heaters since I have the base model. Some of the newer apps are neat with onscreen web browsing, and facebook updates. Useful if I am waiting in my car for somebody. If app companies keep working on it, the possibilities and updates will be great. App2 has bigger screen and 2 sets of preouts for amps, which mine lacks. If you are looking for something nice with good sound quality, I would follow the advise of the above people, but if you want something inexpensive that will give you navigation and bluetooth, the appradio will get the job done.

7. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

8. Tank

Tank Member

Well I do have a couple of questions for the Pioneer Avic x940BT did you need an special mounting brackets, face plates or anything other than a wiring harness to plug into the factory stuff? I will eventually add an amp, crossover and sub but one thing at a time. I have installed stereo systems in many cars but according to Best Buys I need a mounting kit, and they said something about bypassing the stock amp but I have a base WRX stereo no navigation and no tweeters in the A pillar etc.

Hey and your car is pure sex. Everything on that car is as it should be. Awesome! I'm sure you have probably sold them already but do you still have the XXR 527's?

I may start with the AppRadio2 for now only because of the price. I’ll move it to my 240 when I get around to buying the more expensive head unit. The thing is I just bought my wife an iPad for her birthday/wedding anniversary gift being that her birthday is on Friday and our wedding anniversary is next Friday. Funny thing is I just bought my car two weeks ago and she is cool with me keeping my 240 too. The thing is I think I'm going to sell it and do a couple of small things to my new car.