Performance

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Deke, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Deke

Deke Active Member

What's up strangers?

Despite still daily driving my 03 WRX, I haven't really been involved in the Subaru community in quite some time. However, I've been itching to upgrade lately, and naturally I've spent some time learning about the newest WRX/STi. One thing that strikes me, is that while most other manufacturers have been continually pushing the limits on their performance vehicles the last 5-10 years, the WRX/STi hasn't really seemed to change all that much performance wise. And now I'm even hearing rumors that the next gen STI might actually lose some horsepower? (please correct me if I'm off on this one)

As an anecdotal example, back in 2003, a WRX had comparable 0-60/quartermile/laptimes to a Mustang GT. In 2013, a WRX has more comparable stats to the v6 Mustang, and the GT now outperforms an STI.

I realize track times aren't everything, but is Subaru missing the boat here? I'm still heavily considering an STI for my next car, but I feel like it doesn't come with as much hubris as it once did :)

Discuss...

(And if this is a topic that has been discussed before, mods plz ban)

2. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Why change something that has been perfected.

Whatever you decide, possibly maybe even getting a 05 legacy, I might be interested in your wrx.

3. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Perfected?.....Nah not even close.

The performance for the money just isn't that good anymore.

When the STI came out in the U.S. it was an amazing performance value, now not so much.

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

next gen WRX will have the same power that the current STi has. Also, they're going back to the 2 liter. If anything, I'd get a current gen WRX, not the STi...it's lighter than the STi thanks to standard brakes, smaller wheels, no 6speed and a few other things. As a result, it's a little quicker than the STi as there's only a 30(?) hp difference between the 2. All the same parts bolt up, so you don't have anything to worry about there.

5. Deke

Deke Active Member

This is what I'm getting at.

Ah, ok, well that's some encouraging news about the next gen. I'll still be really curious to see what the wagon ends up looking like.

I definitely didn't rule out the WRX. I'm just a sucker for features, and it seemed like once i got up into the Limited territory, a few thousand more and I'm at an STI. Hmm, food for thought.