Photography 101

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Trancetto, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I'm looking into purchasing my first DSLR camera. I remember seeing a thread on here regarding this but i jus cant seem to find it.

My budget is under 1k.

This would be for personal use. Mainly taking pictures of people.

As an entry lvl photographer, which dslr camera should i go with and what is everyone else using?

Thanks,

2. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Well, I'm officially an owner of a Nikon D5300. Now I just need to learn what all these buttons do.

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I saw a pretty decent deal on that at costco the other day. Is that where you got yours?

4. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Nope, brandsmart.

I paid 829 for mine, excluding the taxes.

5. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

Congrats on the buy. I have a 5100 and it does everything I need it to do. I reccommend lurking around on this website for a little bit to learn what all those buttons do and how to get the most out of your camera.

www.kenrockwell.com

If you are looking at getting another lens besides the 18-55, check eBay for a 18-200mm VR. It is pretty much the only lens you will every need unless you start getting more professional, or want to use a FFL lens.

6. Cory

Cory Member

Best lens for the money is a 50mm f1.8.

7. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I'm really enjoying the camera so far. I snapped bunch of good pics of my kids 2nd bday party. I now see why photography can be addicting for some. Right equipment definitely makes photography fun.

I plan on purchasing at least one more lens. I now plan on using the camera for more than just capturing people. I plan on taking it with me on fishing trips, road trips etc....

I don't mind spending money on this stuff. To me it's a good investment. I def. will do some extensive research on photography before I decide which lens to purchase next.

8. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

congrats on your new camera man!

getting to know the buttons and what they do is really improtant and it looks like you're already putting in the effort to figure that out, in the long run it will make taking pics effortless which is great for being 'at the ready' to get pics of little ones running around.

9. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Me and my meager canon powershot 500 series... where's some good beginner websites to get started on not sucking on picture taking?