Picked up my carry of choice.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WRboXer, Sep 1, 2011.

1. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Picked up my carry of choice. Pricey, and not the smallest of the small. But a great trigger, great sites, and some heft makes this a compact that is actually fun to shoot. Every other sub-c ive shot has been a total pain in the ass to shoot.

Sig P238, basically a replacement of the colt. Colt stopped making it, sig started a couple years ago, colt is apparently going to reenter bc this thing has been so popular. Got a nice easy IWB or external leather carry. It was cheap but easy to use in a hurry, ill use it until i figure out what i like/prefer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

Both of those are nice guns! I LIKE!

3. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I love my sig .45 even though it is a bit big. My 110 lb wife can even shoot it and the kick is not terrible for her. Hard to say which is my favorite between the USP .45 and the Sig I have now.

4. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Picked up a used 4" Springfield XD 9mm(thanks Matt). ~3lb match trigger installed, Trijicon night sites installed. Good shooting gun, this is more of my utility type gun, biggest caliber i own with the highest capacity and most capable(16rnd clip). So if the chances occur where i actually NEED a gun, this would be the one i would go to first. Came with 5 16rnd springfield clips, 150rnds, 1 clip full of Speer Gold point, 50rnds of PowRball, a cheap tactical leg holster, and the full XD gear.

My only issue with the gun is the OEM grip, when you hands get clamy the pistol gets slippery. Ordered and talon stick on grip AND the hogue slip on rubber grip, ill slip on the rubber over the talon for range time, and remove it if its being carried anywhere where space is a concern.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ordered a round of small updates for all 3 of my guns over the weekend to address issues with each that i had. Ill update with pics when i receive and install them all. The 1911-22 will be getting alot of work as thats what i shoot the most of and most often, its going to be BAMF when im done. Had it what, 2 months now and approaching ~3500 rounds. Its been an absolute beast, if it shoots this well now, cant wait to see how it feels when im done.

5. techlord

techlord Active Member

damn dude you on a gun kick all of a sudden! BTW what did that P238 run ya?

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I love that P238. A friend of mine has one and it's easily the nicest shooting gun in its range.

Not cheap though.

7. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Well Matt posted the m'fer up for sale and i couldnt pass it up for the price. It was exactly what i was looking for cheaper with extra shit. Its the bigges/most capable gun and its the cheapest gun ive bought so far. I am looking forward to modding them, its just like a car, once you start and see results, you start down a deap dark path.

The p238? $$$, I talked my local gun shop down to $500(sharp shooters had the same model listed at 6 bills). Easily the most expensive subcompact, but after shooting them all, easily the most capable as well. Seriously go shoot all the sub-c's. The p238 feels like comparing a hp laptop to a Mac Book Pro, before you even turn the thing on you know which one feels nicer, but the p238 has the moves to actually back up its feel as well. For a "buy one for the rest of your life" decision, it was easy.

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Colt Mustang Mag works well with the P238 and increases capacity to 1. Also allows grip length to accommodate the pinky.

9. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Thats actually part of the update for the P238, its already on the way.

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Sweet! Be sure to update....I'm looking at a P238 myself and am on the fence.

11. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wirelessly posted (From Your Mom's House: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; LG-P999 Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 MMS/LG-Android-MMS-V1.0/1.2)

Have you carried this concealed yet? Is it noticeable, comfortable, did you wear it while driving?

12. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Yeah i have, and concealing comfortably is more of a matter of finding the right holster then it is of the actual gun(atleast in the sub compact category). There are tradeoffs with holsters like everyting.

Basically if you are carrying in a manner where the p238 is not comfortable with a given hoslter or position, no gun would be.

Anyways to your question, i currently carry with a cheap little $20 leather sleave with a basic single clip. The most basic design ive seen, and it doesnt offer the most comfort bc it does allow metal to skin while sitting, its doeble sided leather for both internal waste band carry and external(so its thicker) its also not the most sturdy bc of the single simple clip that allow some movement. What it does offer is quick and easy to use, so when you walk out the door you can grab it and throw it with out having to "plan" to put it on. Folks, the name of the game is having the your carry on you pretty much as much as possible. Doesnt do any good if its at home, its easy to start finding reasons to leave it. If your holster is a PITA to include in your wardrobe, is easier to leave it at home.

I have ordered this below, its a super tuck "mini tuck", you are supposed to forget the pistol is even there, and is stupid sturdy bc it loads the belt instead of the waist of your pants(which pull down) and has 2 clips. Its down side is that i think i am going to have to plan to put it on, cant just throw it on as im walking OTD.
    [​IMG]

Futher, i will be purchasing a pocket "wallet" holster as well. Its probably has the best trade off of comfort and easy to carry. I will be buying one of these soon enough as well.

That will be the extent of my carry holsters for the p238, ill choose based on what im doing and wearing that day.

If i had to choose one, the pocket holster would probably be the best.

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Have you considered the White Hat Hybrid Holsters. Very nice holsters and you can switch the scabboards on them for multiple guns.

14. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Cross Breed makes nice holders. I'm looking to get one for my SP101.

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

They do but the downfall if you have multiple guns is you have to get a holster for each gun. That adds up fast.

16. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I only conceal or wear one weapon at a time and I don't conceal carry the Glock 22.

Now, you'll probably bitch that I have different caliber weapons and how stupid that is and isn't cost efficient and all that shit.

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

One good holster that works with all weapons > many holsters that all do the same IMO <-- last 3 letters are important.

You missed my point.

Again it's all personal preference. Just asked if he considered the White Hat holsters and if so what made him pick the CB over it.

Grow up Lil Jew.....quit yer bitchin at everything.....wasn't talking to you in the first place ;)

18. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Well the P238 is the only one if my guns i would carry concealed. Good thought for those who have alot of guns/options. But i specifically bought the p238 to be my one and only concealed weapon. The XD hangs out in the car/house where capacity and power play a bigger role then a personal carry where all it really has to do is make a loud noise and be comfortable.

The crossbread holster has a lifetime warranty, so hopefully one day if i make it to be gray and old and I pass these quality items down and they will still operate like the day i got it.

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Thanks and that makes perfect sense. I'll probably go Crossbreed as well cause I also will only conceal carry one gun only. The others are just like you....camping in the car and/or house.

20. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

um...you quoted my damn post.

21. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

extended mag for the p238, now 7+1 and with the extended grip this thing might as well shoot as nice as a full size and carry like a sub-c

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also picked up my nice iwb, crossbreed mini tuck holster. As i expected, takes time to holster up, but worth it for a full days carry.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Put a hogue and dawson fiber front site on the 1911-22. Next up is trigger work. Now 4k rounds through a stock sig 1911-22 without failure(fyi the internals of the sig's are the more robust all metal slide spring and spring guide vs the new weak gsg units).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picked up a talon stick on and pachmeyr slip on grip for the XD. The XD is done.
    [​IMG]

22. Khionê

Khionê Member

Nice bro! I got and love the S&W .380 aka bodyguard.

23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I picked up that gun at the store the other day....loved the feel of it but absolutely hated the laser so I didn't buy it. The placement of the laser button is not convenient for concealed carry....I want the laser on when I grip the gun....not having to reach and turn it on manually and then press it twice to turn it off.

24. Khionê

Khionê Member

True, but I only have it for protection. 25ft away and unloading the clip, don't need the laser. 7 shots in mid of the chest from the holtser position. Lol. Since I got it that's all I practice at the range. Was going to get the ruger .380 but read slot of trigger problems.

25. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Very valid point. I'm the type that if it's gonna have the extra bulk on my carry it better work efficiently if that makes sense. Still a nice CC though.

26. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I prefer holsters that are designed for each gun. I've never found a universal style holster to work well or be very comfortable.

Hows the XD?

27. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The White Hat holsters are made for each gun....you can swap out the scabboards which is made specifically for the gun.

However Crossbreed is top notch stuff if not the best.

28. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Xd's doing its business, fixed the only issue i had with it and that was a slippery grip when your hands get clamy. Maybe a tac light in its future, but idk.

29. Khionê

Khionê Member

We should all meet one day and go shooting!

30. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Some cw accessories for the sig 1911.

Compensator, mag pads, and over sized guide rod.

Trigger is now sitting at the 3.5lb mark after a trip to the smith. Trigger still isnt THAT nice, the break could be cleaner, but decent enough and wonderful shooter. The compensator was basically just for fun at $40.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

31. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

reading this thread a while back inspired me to research the p238, since i love shooting the .380... I bought a walthers p380 months before this thread and i don't like it, so i started looking at this again and found something you might need to know.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/P238upgrade.aspx

This does not affect ANY of the 27Axxxxxx serialized pistols.

Posted July 2009

Dear SIG SAUER Customer:

SIG SAUER, Inc. has initiated a Mandatory Safety Upgrade pertaining to our new Model P238™ pistols. We have determined that a small number of P238 pistols may have safety levers that are not manufactured to factory specifications. Under certain conditions, it may be possible for the lever not to be completely engaged in the safe position. In this condition, the gun will not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, when the safety lever is moved to the off position, the hammer may fall, with the remote possibility that the gun could fire unintentionally, thus creating a risk of injury or death.

There have been no reports of any injuries or mishaps; however, in accordance with SIG SAUER, Inc.’s commitment to provide customers with the highest quality products and services, we are issuing a P238 Mandatory Safety Upgrade, to return the identified product to factory specifications. Upon receipt of the firearm, SIG SAUER will, at no cost to the owner, eliminate the risk identified above by replacing the subject part and performing functional upgrades that have been incorporated into the P238, subsequent to its introduction. SIG SAUER will return the firearm, pre-paid, to the owner as quickly as possible.

If you have a SIG SAUER P238 with a serial number between DA000501 and DA003216, please cease use of the firearm immediately. Not all P238s within the identified serial number range are affected; therefore, it is imperative that you contact us via the UPGRADE HOT LINE at 1 (866) 446-1914. An operator will take your information and confirm if your firearm is required to be returned for Upgrading. If necessary, you will receive a certified package from SIG SAUER that will contain a UPS shipping return label, a Return Merchandise Authorization Number, and a box to return the firearm. Simply affix the provided UPS shipping label to the supplied box (completely covering the existing shipping label) and bring the box to a designated UPS drop-off location. Please be certain to include the magazine along with the original SIG SAUER blue gun box. If you have questions or would like further information, you may contact SIG SAUER CUSTOMER SERVICE at 603-772-2302 (Choose Option # 3).

This does not affect ANY of the 27Axxxxxx serialized pistols.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your immediate cooperation in the return of your P238 handgun.

Sincerely,
    SIG SAUER, Inc.