Plasti weld??

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by nik_05STi, Jul 12, 2013.

1. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Has anyone ever plasti welded a bumper cover. I have a slight crack in my bumper cover and been recommended this process. Buying a new front bumper cover doesn't seem worth it for this little damage. Took my ride to two collision places but of course they say i need a new bumper cover and paint, but they just want money. Friends tell me don't worry about it, but I want it fixed

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

check out www.car-part.com and see if there's a used bumper cover in a yard somewhere..that will be cheaper than the collision place.

3. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Not a bad site, definitely cheaper on that site than eBay. But like I said, the damage isn't much so I would not rather not buy a whole front bumper cover

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

SEM makes a 2-part epoxy that will work on our bumpers but depends on the damage. posting a pic will help to determine if waste of time.

5. pleiades

pleiades Member

[​IMG]

I used this when I shaved my grille that was almost 2 years ago and it's held up great with no sign of cracking. It's cheap and readily available at local auto parts store. I used a self etching primer and that seemed to provide the smoothest surface for me prior to a top coat application.

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

etching is for metal, you'll want to use an adhesion promoter like Bulldog on plastic. keeps the paint from chipping off

7. pleiades

pleiades Member

I guess I used the wrong word it was some kind of primer that helped level and fill the imperfections

8. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Believe it or not, Ive never tried pos
    ting pics ever on this site. Whats the easiest way?

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

photobucket?

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ That... sign up on photobucket, upload photo, copy/paste link in reply.

11. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

imgur.com is easier I've found.

12. b reel

b reel Active Member

yeah, photofuckets's latest upgrade is a fucking maze to drive ad revenue.

13. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

not worth the effort. it's a repair that WILL NOT hold up to a hit. I paid $169.00 for a new bumper cover a few years back. I doubt the price has jumped much if at all.

15. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

I'm gonna hold off for now and ride it like it is. I had a lip on there and miss it. When I save a little money ill buy a couple things for the ride

16. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

I know this is an older post but my family up in New York does body work and we have plastic welded a bunch of bumpers. You can do it yourself really. Harbor freight tools actually sells the welder. It is really just a soldering iron with a flat disk on the front. The kit comes with the plastic or "glue" that fills in the cracks. Then all you do is sand it smooth and have someone spray it and if need be blend the bumper to match.