playin around

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bigb996, Apr 5, 2006.

1. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

was messin with a red srt4 on the way home today from school on 316. We were runnin to 105 and he was catching up. never actually raced though. i got next to him at a light and launched but he didnt. i think that it would be a good matchup but they are probably faster.

2. flip

flip Member

i'm sorry if i offend anyone but i really hate 90% of srt-4 drivers... haha no, really. Most them are so cocky because they think they can beat anyone on the road and mess with people that they know they can spank. Truth of the matter is their car sucks and is an american pos car. :p (just a little rant) I can't wait to line up with one thats actually not afraid to race me and get spanked ;).

3. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

im a mopar man myself but mainly in the jeep aspect. i think they are some dang quick cars for the price. id take it well before the cobalt ss or the redline cars.

4. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

Haha, I would never drive a Saturn for performance.

5. Demo24

Demo24 Member

:confused:

6. Deke

Deke Active Member

Yeah, I've had a lot of experience with them being overly cocky. I have noticed lately some older guys driving them. My dad used to work with someone (probably about 45 years old) that got one and just loved it because he said it was so fun.

I was actually lined up with one back home yesterday at a light. I was with a lady friend so I probably wouldn't have raced him even if provoked (not that I "race" regularly anyways), but to my pleasant surprise he didn't even so much as look over. I think a lot of SRT-4 drivers have kind of a chip on their shoulder about wrxs and evos, like they need to prove themselves constantly...or at least that's been my experience.

7. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

lol saturn has a couple named redline.. thus making it fast but never get caught driving one.. lol me either.. the only car i wanna get driving caught is a honda civic or eles i love subaru's

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

actually for a very small amount of money they can be much faster than stock STis :eek:hnoes: ... do not under estimate the power potential of SRT-4s and EVOs

9. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i know them stage 2 and 3 ones will book it...seen plenty of vids

10. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

hey we ain't gonna stay stock for a while will we?

11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

well, they tend to get fast much cheaper than we can... ive heard that a simple boost controller works wonders on an SRT4

12. Deke

Deke Active Member

I think the fact that they have the dealership installed Mopar stages don't hurt either. It just seems like such a better idea when the dealership is backing modding. I guess that's why I'm liking what I hear about SOG.

13. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I saw several of them running high 13's at commerce, gave me a lot more respect for them... I think(unless you have an STI or a heavily modded wrx) they'll beat you on the highway...

14. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

yeah I had some "run" offers from a couple of SRT-4's and I'm not down....they are neon sleepers to the extreme....mad respect to them, but they are mostly are dicks....kinda like the mustang drivers....present responsible Mustang drivers excluded..... ;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  15. flip

flip Member

Yeah, you're right... But it seems that most of the cocky ones are the ones that put a couple stickers on it and don't modify anything under the hood...

Yeah, it just sucks that it's a dodge :p. (and a neon at that ;) )

16. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I like the srt-4! I would drive one around but I think the first mod would be power windows in the back :keke: but seriously its some of the drivers that give the car a bad rep.

17. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Will likes to refer to the yellow ones as the srt-5's...Im not sure why, but I found it funny :)

18. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

i haven't had any experiences with the owners to find out if they are pricks or not. but i had one wanting to play on 85s last friday night. i'm just crusing along with the flow of traffic & out of nowhere i hear a loud BOV. looked to my left and there's a srt-4. he starts driving like a douche bag, weaving in & out, reving and chirping his BOV to get my attention. there was a nice long stretch infront of me, no cars and didn't see any cops, so i'm thinking okay what the hell. i drop to 4th and pull hard away from him. he finally catches up just as the congestion starts, then swerves over 4 lanes and just barely makes the 285w exit.

i usually don't race, but the fucker was annoying the shit out of me.

19. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i've noticed the same thing with regards to the drivers. insecurity to the max if you ask me.

case in point: a few months back going down sat.blvd. towards sog (in the twisty office park area) this little donut puncher pulls up next to me, pops his bov a few times. i look over with the "i'm not in the mood" look. so he scowls and peels off. not 1/4 mi down the road, i find him wrapped around another car. cop already on the scene. i slowly drive by the wreck, give him a wink ;)

you can mod them to speed very cheaply. you can also repair the cheaply built parts very cheaply.

20. Deke

Deke Active Member

I'd like them a lot more if they weren't fwd...and Neons.

21. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

yea i think they should have done awd or rwd, and the no power rear windows is gay. other than that they will book. I dont think they last real long though maybee 70k miles?

22. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

I heard that they discontinued the SRT-4.

I saw new ones going for $17900

23. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

as an owner of an srt-4, and an sti here is what i've seen. ya'll are right about a lot of srt owners being cocky. the reason i see it is cause more than half of them are very young...pretty much under 21. mommy and daddy bought them this car cause it is affordable, and they thought it was just a regular neon with a body kit.lol the srt was my first turbo car and i've had a bunch of fun with it. moved up to the sti, and i love it! its like comparing apples to oranges between these two cars. and yeah it is VERY cheap to get these cars fast. stage 1 w/ an AGP waste gate acutuator can get an srt at almost 300 whp for 500 bucks. thats just an example.
    flip....i hope i'm one of the 10% of owners you don't hate.ha

yeah they now are coming out with that uber ugly ass Caliber. looks like a squashed suv to me.

24. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

hey i was doin some diggin the other day and saw on an srt forum they had posted this thread about sti owners. you stuck up for wrxatlanta. think you could link that up for us. i forgot where i did the search that brought it up.

25. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

whoa that must have been awhile ago cause i very rarely go on the srtforums anymore. i'm trying to remember when i did that.lol if i find anything i'll post the link up jt.

26. Alex

by repair do you mean simply buy a new one? :keke:

27. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

the new caliber may be ugly but its got 300hp in the srt model. Plus it has a beverage cooler!

28. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

it's becuz zey unpimped zee grip and ahr jealous yo :rofl:

ya but the few people that can actually modulate the throttle with those cars off the line, few and far between, after going to a few saturday drag events, not one srt4 owner could get the numbers that thier setups manufacturers claimed were possible.

I have respect for them, but the majority of the drivers are just as said before high school kids that want a neon with a body kit. I have a lot of respect for their potential, and it brings a lot to the "scene" as it were for factory backing. Fact remains most of the drivers are dicks, I've met some cool cats that drive them. And after driving a bone stock fubar SC300 and pulling away in corners to a HIGHLY suspension modded SRT prolly 350whp he estimates, I was like oh um? (turns out the allignment is a bitch, but now with the mopar coils with camber and more adjustments it shouldn't be an issue). Proper set up on a car is huge. I sand bagged the back passenger side of the car and it started to get a bit better, but that car was HURTING in the corners, just wouldn't turn at all right. I can't wait to see it run after the new suspension goodies.
    The sc had one trick up it's sleeve bick wide tires, but after talking with Eric (the SRT owner, who by the way can drive like hell in a car that is set up) and confirming that I was indeed pulling away from him in corners in a 2 door yacht. I was stunned.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  29. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

there is a reason why american car's r cheap and others r not.
    u cant trust american cars cause the way u can drive a sti u cant dive a neon.. sti will give u 200 k or more a neon will give u 70 k most or maybe 100 k but yeah then again i ain't the expert but i would urge the big guys to let us know the reason..

30. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

by "repair" i was inferring to an activity requiring a sledgehammer. it would be a build-quality improvement. but yeah, i'm sure you could buy a new one ;)

while we're on the topic, since most of the pilots of these things are ricers in a domestic car what do you call them? ricer isn't really accurate. wonder-breaders? McDragsters? Grainers?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  31. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

isnt that still filed under american white trash?

32. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

I always like to call them peanut burners if they are from hickish countys
    I could easily see jimmy carter pop out the trunk in traffic with a banjo and a corn pipe.

33. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

geez...i can't get no love anywhere.

34. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

we love you shane! haha i personally like the srt4 rice rocket or not!

35. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

haha...thanx bro! na it doesn't bother me that ppl bash the srt.lol one question i do have is....calling an srt-4 a neon is like calling an STi an impreza, or like calling an evo a lancer. am i right or wrong?

36. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

well the neon used to be a huge pile of shit, I mean sheesh even george carlin doing the narration for ads coudln't save the original. Although when they first came out I liked the car, as apposed to the "old person" corrola, which is what I was looking at, the neon had a bit of flair to it I guess. The SRT is a cool ass car and you can't beat it for the money as far as new cars go. If I were in the market for a car that had to be new and under 22k I think I would go with an SRT4.
    the lancer has always been a reliable car same with the impreza. Also I wouldn't mind driving either, I would however mind driving a plain old neon. *shrugs*

37. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

^yeah i hear ya on that eric. the only way i'd drive a regular neon would be for economical reason...save gas, cheap insurance, and whatnot. i def wouldn't buy a brand new regular neon. that's for sure. not even the R/T model.

38. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

i got my 05 wrx for under 22k new, i definately wouldn't take an srt-4 over it.

39. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

^^ you were very fortunate hehe

40. Alex

What dealership?

41. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

royal... i met him there when he was buying the car :D

42. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

Yeah, when I was thinking about trading my car in for the new, at the time, body style, they were quoting me $21998 or something for a black brand new one.