Playing with new lens

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by moose, Apr 20, 2006.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Enjoying it so far. :)

[​IMG]

2. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

wow, very detailed!!!

3. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Yeah, it's sharp. 100% crop from the same shot:

[​IMG]

4. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

so when you going to take some pics of my car?

5. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

damn..very nice man!

6. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

holy sheiz! can your bird talk moose? :)

7. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i think that bird can say, holy shezzznit can i talk? lol

good job on the pictures u know ur good..

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  8. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

it says "wanna get hi?"

9. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

She does nothing BUT talk. Greys are on the same level as a 4 year old kid, roughly... it's not unusual to have a vocab of a few hundred words, and capability to put together sentences, concepts etc. They're fun creatures. :)

10. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

hey, we found our mascot. Now just train her to say "Evo's suck. Goooo Subaru"

11. jayj713

jayj713 Member

holy crap! there's a bird on my screen!

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Its true, Ive been there :)

Moose, let's get a photoshoot together sometime over the summer. Maybe up at Hilton ?

13. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

oh hell ya I'm up for photoshooting :)

14. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

very clear, nice macro. and yeah, afro-greys hold the title in vocab. amazing creatures, but i could never have a pet that stayed 4 for decades lol.

15. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

It's not really a macro; the second shot is just a crop of the original 6mpix image. :)

16. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Mind giving me the details on your camera? I am looking to get a good one before the honeymoon!

18. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

The camera's just a plain Digital Rebel, nothing fancy at all. Unless your camera body is junk, the lenses are where you'll really see the difference.

Tell me how much you're looking to spend and how big of a rig you're willing to lug around and maybe I can help recommend something.

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-P32 but what I hate about it is no Optical zoom. I don't think you can add a lens to it. Where is a good place I can go to learn about this some. I do have to say when I am close enough this camera can take some good pics.

20. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

You can read up on photographyreview.com for one, photo.net for more in-depth discussions...

One big thing to keep in mind though that I'd like to point out:

Most/all of the non-SLR cameras (basically the ones with non-interchangeable lenses) have a very short focal length. Not to get into too much detail, but it makes it quite difficult to control the depth of field and throw the background out of focus when you wish to do so. This was my number one gripe with my Sony DSC-F707 and the biggest reason I got a dSLR.

With dSLRs you have all the flexbility you'll likely ever need. Downsides are that they are bigger, heavier, and more expensive. Not just the camera itself, but the lenses you'll need to take proper advantage of it. Don't be tricked into thinking that the $600 pack with camera and a 'kit lens' is all you need; you really need to budget anywhere from 400-thousands for some decent glass if you want great results.

21. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Wow, magazine worthy pics

22. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

ahh..my cell phone takes better pics.j/k no really...those pics are damn impressive moose! have fun with ur new toy!!!

23. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

24. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

I shall compete with you soon! I just got my 350d, and I'm waiting on my 2gb cf card to come in. Next will be some decent lenses.

25. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Very nice! I will upgrade my body eventually, but at this point I'm more concerned with getting some great lenses. What are you planning on getting lens wise?

26. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Nothing in particular right yet, except for the 50mm prime. Everyone seems to love that one! I'll be picking up a 75-300 tomorrow from a friend, but its just your average glass lense. No L lenses just yet.:bowdown:

27. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

The 50/1.8? It's a fantastic bargain; like $70-80 for a tack sharp fast lens.

Knowing what I know now, I'd probably stick with primes unless I could afford L zooms... I had no idea just how incredible these things were until I finally got one. Now I'm beating myself for waiting this long. :)

28. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Yup, it will be nice!

29. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

lol... badass!

30. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I'm jonesin' for the 17-40L now.. this is bad.

31. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wait...it gets better?

32. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

No, just covers different focal lengths. I have a good 50mm prime, the excellent 70-200L and a mediocre 18-55. Need something better on the wide end.

It really doesn't get 'better' than the 70-200/4L. Lots of people claim this is _the_ sharpest zoom in Canon's lineup. Not sure of those claims, but there certainly aren't any that stand out as better.