Police State???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, May 22, 2010.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Getting pretty rediculous in Alpharetta/Forsyth area.... My girlfriend works at Wild Wing Cafe on Windward Pkwy near 400 on Windward. Last night... Basically from 8pm on, there was a sobriety checkpoint on 3 different areas surrounding her work. If you went to Wild Wings last night, you got pulled over. Now, before someone says it... I don't condone drunk or buzzed driving in any way, if your drinking you should have a DD. That being said, I think it is absurd that you target an establishment, and harrass literally every person that goes there. She said it looked like a tailgate party....30 or 40 cops with people pulled over everywhere.. peoples cars getting ripped apart, paddy wagons full of busted people... REVENUE GENERATION...
    This has happened a few times there... and its allways cop city right by Wild Wings. I tell all my friends not to go there anymore, and I don't recommend it to any of you either. Its not worth the hassle. Its pretty much chased a good portion of WW's business away and my girlfriend is going to have to get a different job because less and less people are going there.
    Exit 12 (McFarland) is no better. I work on that street.... and there are 3 or 4 cops with speed traps and tailing people at all times. Especially when I'm on night shift... not a night goes by where one of my co-workers gets tailed for no reason or even pulled over... for nothing! Example... I drove from the East end of Mcfarland to the West side to the Race Trak for snacks. There were 3 of Forsyths finest at there. I pull up in the STI... They see me and all race to there cars. I leave to go back and 2 of them are on the bridge clocking my speed and the 3rd one got behind me and followed me all the way back into my entrance.... Its getting to where you can't go anywhere without a good chance of getting harrassed and its silly....

/rant

2. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Yeah Ive notice that in the last week or so that Forsyth Co has been everywhere, on Monday to of my employees got pulled over in a matter of an hour. I feel its just a matter of time before they pull me over. Since the baby I have been paying attention to my speed.

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

yet another reason to live in a town that the only way you get pulled over is hanging out the window with a Keltec.

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

It's graduation weekend the last few weeks. Checkpoints are everywhere not just in Alpharetta.

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Is that what it is? There going nutty out there... Even around work on Mcfarland this afternoon I saw cops everywhere...

6. Popsmear

Popsmear Member

I see so many people drunk as hell on the road when I drive home at 11PM. As a motorcyclist I have zero tolerance. Put police at the door to wild wings doing a breathalyzer.

7. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

As an American I have a huge problem with that

8. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

You have 2 eyes. Nuf said.

9. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Explain? Like we're gloating about it? or 2 eyes are better than one to see the circus of cops we're approaching?

10. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

I lost my eye to a drunk driver. Not to mention the 3 months in the hospital and brain surgery. And 3 recunstructive surgeries.

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

If the penalties were stronger we wouldn't need a nanny state.

12. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Oneiguy, I didn't know that was the how it happened but.... Understand... I am NOT condoning drunk driving. I am simply saying its not right to hassle EVERY person that goes to a certain place just because they might be drinking. If this is ok and becomes common, where does it end? You won't be able to go anywhere! If a driver is observed swerving, speeding or any other valid violation... then pull them over. But nabbing and harrasing everyone just in case is rediculous... My GF was just trying to go home from that place and it took forever to get thru, and no less than 5 cops were circling her car looking inside to try to find some reason to search her.. is that fair? Would that type of thing avoid what happened to you?

13. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I am not saying it is right or wrong, but it leaves the definition of "Profiling" to be questioned...

14. Popsmear

Popsmear Member

Exactly.

I am not a fan of a "police state" either. Hell I don't show my receipt to the greeters at wal-mart when they ask.

The issue is the "state" is way to lenient on drunk drivers. Hell you can plead nolo on a DUI charge. You have to have a third charge before they really remove your right to drive or you spend any time in jail.

"Buzzed" driving, where no swerving is present, is also another issue, but hell that's a whole separate debate. Cell phones and tired and all that.

15. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ Agreed on the weak penalties... One of my girlfriends dumbass friends (don't worry, I hate her).. got 2 DUI's in a row... Still drives. Went to court on the 2nd one, got a slap on the wrist... the 1st DUI doesn't go to court for another year for some reason or another.... Weaksauce...

16. As far as drunk driving I have zero tolerance for drunk driving. I think they should loose their license for life on first offense(plus jail time and fines).We had a guy in a few months back who was on his fifth dui.. he has to breathe into breathalyzer each time to start his car..
    For the other issue,go somewhere else.In America we are supposed to be free to do that.Eventually they will go away.If there is something illegal going on in that area then fine.
    As far as a breathalyzer at the door to a bar on your way out..I would say fine as long as you know about it on your way in.And would they arrest you on the spot..?for?
    I also do not stop on my way out of stores ..I paid for my stuff...its their problem their cashiers cannot deactivate the security device..

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  17. Popsmear

Popsmear Member

Not to derail the thread here from DUIs...

Wal-Mart, if you are walking out with a product not in a bag, will ask to see your receipt. Even if you do not set off an alarm.

The greeter acts as if it is life or death.

18. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Which is hilarious.. because they don't even look at the receipt at all... they just scribble on it with a yellow marker... :) Don't worry about drailing the thread, it allready happened. The thread is supposed to discuss unnessessary use of police to harass and generate revenue, not about DUI, which is universally dispised.

19. While I think that the police need to find some way to cut down more on drunk drivers (my dad got t-boned in the driver's side door by a drunk driver going about 65mph (my dad still has nightmares about it 20 years later) and I got rear-ended big time by a drunk driver - who got out with her wine glass in hand then got back in her car and sped off), I don't think they should treat everyone as if they have been drinking and target people unnecessarily. Certainly there were workers at WW who were not drinking and other patrons. How about they just sit on a road and watch for people that swerve and push for citizens to report suspicious driving and actually follow up on it (which if you do now, they will just tell you to pull over yourself and wait for a cop to make a report - seriously.. I tried to call once and that's what they told me and I was like... are you serious?!! This lady could kill someone!!)

20. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I'll beat the horse a little more. Drunk Driving isn't an accident it's a choice. Your license should be revoked on the first DUI and mandatory jail time if you are involved in a wreck. Still want legitimate probable cause before pulling somebody over.

21. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

the problem is that the "science" behind the limits and methods of testing used to put people in jail (and effectively ruin their lives) is junk science AT BEST.

setting public policy based on the tugging of heart strings and the lobbying of neo-prohibitionist groups like MADD has pretty much fucked things up the the nth.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  22. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

The shitty part is sitting outside of Wild Wings has nothing to do with trying to protect anybody. Just another way to get more money.

23. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

indecisive on this. I love it...but at the same time i'd probably be in jail anytime i had 1 beer and was given a breath test. i'll admit i'm a little ignorant to how it works, but after several drinks i know i'd pass any walk the line/talking/intelligence test but i'm 6'1" and 135lbs...i'm practically a walking skeleton. i have a high tolerance, but i feel i'm probably doomed if i'm given a blood alcohol test. i'd rather see 10 police cars sitting outside a bar waiting for people to pull out and immediately cross a line or drive 10mph and give away the fact they are drunk as shit

24. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I 110% agree with cracking down on drunk drivers for many reasons. You shouldnt be behind the wheel if you have been drinking, If I drink somewhere my GF drives home etc.

I however get haressed all the time by alpharetta and athens clarke county because of my car. Ya it is an STi, ya it is pretty quick, ya it has a big wing on the back, but that doesnt automatically mean I need pulled over and questioned every time I drive by a cop. Not to mention everytime I get pulled over, 1 cop follows me calling for back up. Once backup arrives I get pulled over, blocked in, and there is a 3rd one waiting just out of site in case I make a run for it. Why does this need to happen? I feel like I am being stalked every time I climb in the car here lately.

25. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

So my girlfriend (works at Wild Wings) was talking to one of the cops who hangs out at her work about the road blocks from last week... He proceeded to tell her about this new device they are going to start to use that can detect alcohol vapors from your breath from a distance. Apparently, they are going to post up on overpasses and shoot to device down to oncoming traffic, and if it detects alcohol, a chase car will be in place to nab you.... Not sure how true/accurate this is.. but I don't know why the cop would make this up/lie... If this is true, I see this as the beginning of the end. AGAIN... I don't condone drunk driving... but this is just crazy and I can't believe it will be allowed to happen....

26. slowwrx

LOL...so this device shoots a magic beam through your windshield and measures the alcohol vapors coming from your mouth....

I'll believe ya when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.

27. b reel

b reel Active Member

makes you wonder if the parents are related

28. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

ok... maybe the translation of what he told her, to what she told me was off... It does seem like a stretch... Doesn't seem totally out of the realm of posibility...

29. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Are you serious?

30. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Not exactly how I described but close.... some of you need to research before you start spouting off nonsense.... quick google searches....

http://sandiegodwi.com/passive-alcohol-sensor-duitest.html

and
    PAS IV Passive Alcohol Sensor with High-Intensity Flashlight

The PAS IV Screening System combines: a) high-intensity, super-beam flashlight technology with b) a dynamic sampling system and c) a miniature alcohol sensor. It “sniffs” ambient air, the breath, open containers, or enclosed spaces for the presence of alcohol. The PAS functions as a non-intrusive “extension of the operator’s nose.

The PAS is a hand-held, rapid alcohol detection instrument using a platinum electrochemical fuel cell sensor of high alcohol specificity, accuracy and stability. Designed for law enforcement, industry, corrections, transportation agencies, and educational facilities. The operator-controlled sampling system guarantees accurate detection of alcohol, and is especially suited for quick subsequent measurements.

The PAS is used to check alcohol presence/absence with or without a subject’s direct participation. When used without the subject’s direct participation it is known as passive sampling, as opposed to active testing where the subject blows directly into a mouthpiece or the intake port. The PAS can also be used to detect open containers of alcoholic beverages, or to detect low, ambient levels of alcohol in enclosed spaces such as vehicles, jail cells, or classrooms.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  31. slowwrx

Some of you need to not spout off about cops shooting the drunk radar from over passes....maybe....just maybe ....you should have done a little google search before you posted that little gem up.

32. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ So you're telling me that the tech exists, but the fact that it may have a 20ft range is not possible? Is being a total douche your job on this site?

33. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Nah, thats his goal in life:keke:

34. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

it's an electrochemical sensor. so your boozing breath would have to make it up to the overpass at 80mph.

so no the tech doesn't exist in the scenario you described.

35. slowwrx

If pointing out that your post was completely retarded makes me a douche.....

Just wait till they put those plains in the air with the drunk sniffing radar.

36. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

only if they take off from a treadmill.

37. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

nice ninja fix

38. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

:)

39. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

So... because you and a few others have never heard of this tech its a 100% bogus and there is no possible way it could exist? I'm not saying it does... I have no idea. Just relaying something I heard, that relates to the original post... So instead of just staying out of the thread, or just saying it sounds like BS isn't good enough. You and Breel chose to insult for no reason... It seems to be the new norm on this site. 4 or 5 of you offering nothing constructive, just seeing who can put the 1st smart ass comment up on every thread.. We get it.. your very smart and witty....

40. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

^^^

I disagree...we offer plenty of construntive advice, just ask the people on here we've helped.

Just so happens, on retarded posts, we also offer constructive criticism

41. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

i think just common sense and logic are what they are basing their opinions on...

42. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

aww come on there's some science in there too

sonicboom, the tech is there but it doesn't work the way you described. that's where responses came from

43. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

possibly the best thing about that website is the advice on the bottom of the page. it includes ways to fight the sniffer...

such a reliable source for DUI information

44. slowwrx

So because I don't think it exist....I'm a douche....who is calling who names

....Did I insult you...are you highly offended by sherbet or rainbows....You come in here spouting off about magic DUI guns that cops can shoot you with from overpasses and you don't expect someone to call you out on it...how about this....QUIT BEING A DUMBASS....now I've called you a name so feel free to call me a douche all you want you arrogant prick.

45. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Spouting off? Hardly.. I just relayed something I had heard indirectly from a cop. Could it be bogus? Absolutely.... Your rainbow comment was directly followed by Breel saying I was inbred. I'm asking if that childish shit is necessary. I think it is arrogant to say something is BS just because it sounds a little out there.. Do any of you know a 100% that its bogus or not something thats close to being possible? No... you don't. At least NICAD actually put some thought into it, saying although the tech exists it wouldn't work from a distance (actual constructive critisism, instead of being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk). You're calling ME arrogant? I'm not gonna E-fight you man... you win...

46. slowwrx

Sweet Ill update the scoreboard.

Also anyone who has me in the E-Fight fantasy league, thats two bonus points for an early victory.

47. slowwrx

You just relayed nonsense you heard indirectly from a cop.

You got pissed about a Quote from Super Troopers...lol
    Do I know for sure its not possible? I have this thing called common sense apparently you do not.

Sometimes you don't have to google something to know its bullshit.

Oh and nice edit

48. slowwrx

You're = You are

49. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ your gonna go grammer police on me? Especially since you don't know the difference between "plains" and "planes"????? I allready conceeded victory.. Go harass someone else now...

50. slowwrx

lol...Matt changed it....in case you missed that

2 more bonus points for the E-Fight fantasy league