Porsche 944 Turbo

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ballistic, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ballistic

ballistic Member

I've been looking around at these things lately and i was wonder if anybody ever built/heard of these things as race cars, or making any good number.

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I know there is a shop in roswell that have a couple of race prepped porsche's on the lot.

3. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

My cousin has owned several 944 turbos and raced them as well. I think he currently has an "S". Anyways, if you surf over to the Atlanta PCA website, I believe they have a forum and you can ask more in depth questions over there....

4. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

One of my advisors at Tech drove a 944 Turbo as a DD. He loved it, tried "drifting" and ruined his suspension. I have never seen a race 944. Watch out though, you have the pull the engine to change the clutch...

5. longfury

longfury Active Member

Like any Porsche, they are expensive to repair and maintain. I looked at getting one once for a fun daily driver and the cost to maintain it is nuts.

This place is up in Marietta. They deal in parts and a few used cars. They might be worth checking out just for parts. I don't know much about them honestly. The owner has emailed me with car offers in the past and seemed to be a good guy. http://www.autoatlanta.com/

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  6. WJM

WJM Banned

7. pankopp

pankopp Member

auto atlanta is a great place, but they dont really do much with 944's they are more of the 914 crowd. Thats where i get all my 914 parts. If you check out grassroots motorsports web page they usally have some porsche track information and PCA's website will have a ton of info. My old nextdoor neighbor had two fully caged track prepared 944 turbos, they were beasts.

8. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

check out Rennlist.com. Plenty of guys there putting down over 400whp. The trannies are known for failure under hard launches.
    I had a nice fairly stock 87 and really enjoyed it.
    [​IMG]

9. ballistic

ballistic Member

thanks for all of the feedback guys.
    anybody know how hard it would be to turbo a non-turbo?

10. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

don't know about that ^^^^ but i was at RA and a guy had a 944T that was hauling butt. Looked like a lot of fun. Problem is that they're $$$$$$$$$$$ to repair and work on.

11. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Don't waste your time. The longblock of the turbo is totally different then the NA. You will spend a ton of money for subpar results.

12. ballistic

ballistic Member

LOL yeah i figured that would be the case, i just saw a nice NA for sale is why i was asking.