Possibly Moving to Georgia

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dargo, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Dargo

Dargo New Member

Hello All,

I had posted this over at NASIOC and WRXFan420 suggested I ask here as well.

I may be relocating to the Cornelia, GA area from Southern NJ. Besides the obvious culture shock that would ensue, could you guys share your likes/dislikes of Cornelia area/Georgia?

Has anyone lived in the Northeast for comparison?

Thanks,

2. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i have been there several times, i have family near there. Its a pretty southern place, very quiet and a nice place to live. Lots of nice homes out there. I have never heard bad things about it.

3. scuby drew

scuby drew techos ftws!!EEEE

i believe Ill-wrx, scott, relocated to here from somewhere in the NE area

4. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

I'm from the upstate NY & Hartford Conn area and moving down was definitely different. Not too sure about south GA but there's surprisingly lots of northern people down here and the ones that I did meet from here originally were very sweet and friendly people, almost to the point of being kinda fake. But it might be cause I was used to people being abrasive......just my .02.....everyone on here is cool, just some of the first southerners I befriended when I moved down didn't exactly work out.....guess that'll happen anywhere though...

5. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I moved here from Harrisburg PA about a year and a half ago. Not sure where in NJ you live, but I lived in a fairly small suburb city. I live in Buckhead now, and love it. Traffic sucks, but there is so much more to offer here then in PA.

It took a while to meet people, but I did not have my WRX when I first moved down here. Once I got the car, I quickly met a great group of people thru this site.

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Where in NJ are you coming from?

7. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

hey dude, i came here from the toms river/seaside area of nj about 13yrs ago.back then it was a culture shock. now, probably not so much. the majority of people down here are transplants (at least in the metro areas) from northern areas. the upside is that there is a lot of business down here and you're close to SC which is booming in the financial sector. the downside is that alot of people came down here for that reason and it loaded with "new money", thus lacking in any real rooted culture(although we did get a new aquarium that's supposed to kick ass).

the upshot though is that there have been quite a few foreign transplants as well, so you are able to enjoy asian, indian, and hispanic (et al) cultures to a degree that you would probably not find so concentrated in jersey.

cost of living is pretty much a wash depending on where in nj/ga you live. a while back you could come down here and your money would go considerably further, but with progress comes inflation.

the arts/music scene is pretty decent. nothing earth shattering though.

but alot of this is subjective so really you'd wanna come down here for a couple weeks to get a feel, and probably live here for a bit to take it for a spin.

we are in the bible belt too, that may be a good/bad or indifferent attribute to consider as well.

and the weather is quite different too (as i'm sure you've already figured). hot/warm and humid a good part of the year, unlike jersey, there is no costal wind to keep the air moving nicely along.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006