Power question...

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Greg, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

OK, I installed a TBE on an 06' sti today (untuned) and I have a few questions...
    The setup is:
    4" Turbo XS DP
    3" high flow cat
    3" cat back turbo xs
    2.75" Prodrive Axle back

Heres the problem:
    when going to WOT it stutters really bad and is jittery. It feels like a combination of a slipping clutch and a boost leak. But the car has 17,000 miles on it, nothing appears to be leaking and you can't hear a leak... What could it be?
    I ran the same setup, minus the odd sized exhaust pieces, for a few months, and it NEVER felt like that...
    Could it be that theres so much air going into the dp, then it compresses to the cat/catback, then compresses even more into the axle back, and it just can't get it out fast enough?

2. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

I would highly advise some form of tuning.

3. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Did you reset the ecu?

4. 1naplay

1naplay Member

yeah, was reset and is running better, but dont know if would do it again.

5. schneid

schneid Member

get an accessport NOW!

(my opinion)

6. +1 for AP

Mine did something similar when I went from my TXS Stealthback to a full 3", then again when I went back to a 2.5" setup..... it went away after a few full throttle runs, and hasn't been an issue since.... I don't know if it just stumbles through the transition or what....

7. 1naplay

1naplay Member

thats my set up, I have the stealth turbo back and then the prodrive muffler. once I reseted my ecu, been running fine, so you said that the problem never came back or you changed it back t the old setup?

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Same happened to me after I installed a bigger intercooler and TBE. Went away after an ECU reset.

9. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

does the boost creep? I heard that a large DP will cause boost creeping and, in turn, lean out the engine. AKA- not good. I'd run over to Battleground ASAP and before going WOT again to see what they say. You're going to want a tune anyway, may as well get it now.

10. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I'll be surprised if it's creeping in the warm summer weather. I have mostly known people who have had creep issues in the winter. Very rarely have I heard of issues in the summer.

11. 1naplay

1naplay Member

would I still get boost creep even if I have a high flow cat?

12. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

you shouldn't be getting creep...just get a tune...it'll be smoother than stock during acceleration and you'll make more power and it's just super good like and stuff

13. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Yes you could.

14. Greg

Greg Active Member

You can get creep with the cat, but it reduces it A LOT. When I first made my exhaust, I didn't know about the creep issues til after the fact, so I went back and put a tuboxs HFcat on, and I only hit creep one time and that was in the winter in the mountains...

15. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

Everyone see's boost creep every once in a while. During the winter time i see it the most. Just get your whip tuned and then have a check up every 3-6 months.

16. Jake

Jake Active Member

I agree, get it tuned.

/issues
    /thread

17. Greg

Greg Active Member

You do know that he just spent over $2000 on parts... Just up and spending another grand isn't exactly an easy thing to do....
    I'm trying to make his current setup a safe as it can possibly be without a tune, til he gets the money. Not that hard of a concept...

18. 1naplay

1naplay Member

yeah just spend a lot of money and trying to figure out a way to make it work :(

19. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Did the reset work?

20. Greg

Greg Active Member

Well, hes sayig that hes been feeling this since he bought the car now.... But he did say that the reset helped it somewhat

21. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

ecuEdit for the cheap people

22. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hey Scott, how late will you be there Saturday? He has to work...