Power Steering Problems

Discussion in 'General Community' started by EJ1210, May 2, 2012.

1. EJ1210

EJ1210 Member

It all started when my radiator busted. I quickly replaced it and everything was fine, except I noticed a whine coming from one of the belts. I went out for a drive and when turning the car, my steering would shake. I had no problems with power steering before, so I thought that maybe coolant got on the belt and was causing it to slip. So I went and got some "belt dressing" for it and, after many thorough spray sessions, the whine went away. After this I turned the car on and proceeded to turn the wheel and yet still encountered the shaking.

The breaking point came today when I was following a tip (two front wheels off ground, turn steering slowly back and forth with car off). After doing this several times and waiting, I turned the car back on to check the steering. I turned the wheel somewhat sharply and a violent vibration came through steering wheel (worse than before). I turned the car off immediately and the vibrations slowly came to a halt. My friend said the wheels were shaking violently too. I checked and everything was still in tact. The belt looked good too.

Anyone have an idea what the problem is? I've considered replacing the pump but no one I've seen has encountered the same problem with a bad pump.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated.