Pro & Cons with Rebuilt car (Title)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sikwrx04, Jun 2, 2014.

1. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

Alright guys i might be trading my car for an 07 is250, i have never dealt with a vehicle with a rebuilt title so i have some concerns...

1st - Will insurance company give me Full coverage on the car? Or only liability?, I'm hearing mix opinions about this. Some say you can but they don't give full amount if the car was to be totaled again..or they only give liability?

Anyone on here ever bought a rebuilt/salvage title car before? The car has been inspected in GA/SC and is currently consider road worthy..meaning the kid is driving it now with tags and insurance.

2nd - Here's a little history of the car its an 07 AWD is250 with sport/winter package, it has 91,000 miles, i've asked for maintenance information but the kid said he has only owned the car for 6months after trading it for his audi...and the only maintenance he has done is oil change, put in a new fuse box unit???

BTW: can anyone run a car report/history on here?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

stay away from the is250. it's an anemic turd and quite boring to drive.

3. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

Hahaha i know underpowered but I'm trying to get something i can DD..I want some luxury in my life. And of course he's going to throw cash on top..not going for speed but something more comfortable..if i want to go fast, ill just take the bike out =)

But there is a guy that wants to traded 08 335i with hard top conv but the only problem it has is a Salvage title...

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

depends on why it was totaled, what was done to repair and who did the work. Hail damage is one thing, smacking a guard rail at 70mph is another. Best to contact your insurance agent for the best answer

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Pros - No good can come from a rebuilt title except for price.

The list can be a mile long for the cons.

IS250 in that year was so boring. Buy a camry and have the same driving experience.

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

I sure as hell would not a trade a clean titled car for a potential POS

7. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

I tried asking him, but he said he didn't know where all the damages to the car has been, or why it was consider totaled.... Which makes me think twice about even meeting him up to look at the car since it will be a waste of time...

I do know it will be slow, which might not be a bad idea for me..with all the speeding tickets i've had in the past..:cool:

Like i said, im not interested in speed, more comfort

The way it looks with him not knowing where the repairs have been done and only owning the car for about 6 months, i'm just going to save myself the time and wait till someone offers something better and something that doesn't have a rebuilt/salvage title...thanks guys!

8. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Good choice.

9. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

It seems so hard to sell a car with mods...i might just say screw it and put the entire car back to stock and SELL it vs trading it...I really want to get my hands on a 02+ E46 M3

10. spsWRX

spsWRX Member

Having worked at Toyota, know a couple of good lexus technicians and actually owned one, the is250 engine is one of the worse toyota engine made. They have a really bad carbon build-up problems. Lexus came out with a service bulletin for the problem, which consist of overhauling the engine. Like Matt said, I would stay away from the is250 also.

11. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

I i've been reading up on that...they do have service bulletin for it but only problem is since the car has a rebuilt title it voids out all warranty on the vehicle

12. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

TSB does not equal free unless you are still under warranty.

13. KGraska

KGraska Member

Let me know if you need a CARFAX or AutoCheck on the Lexus or any other vehicle you're looking at. I can email them to you.

14. Price is one pro to buying salvage/rebuilt. But if you plan on resale or trade-in, you can pretty much chalk it up.

Some ins companies will insure it, some won't. It tends to be a bit more expensive to insure as well. You will not get the full value of the car as it had previously been deemed a total loss at one point in its life.

PM'ed you btw.

15. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Keep WRX with mods.
    Get a 2014 Nissan Leaf.
    Drive free for 2 years.
    Take savings on maintainence and gas and in 2 years get M3 of your dreams.

16. slade1274

slade1274 Member

^^^ brother in law has a leaf... not accurate statements regarding operating cost.

17. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

My brother in law also gas one, got his first, and got screwed on his deal, so for him, not free. For me, all offsets, insurance, etc... It is costing $38 a month. I already have tax credit covering all lease payments in 2014.

It's not free, but it is nearly free, and a new car, covered by warranty. It has to be cheaper when all is said and done than buying a rebuilt car, that will most likely require some sort of repair over the next two years and additional expense.