Public Enemies

Discussion in 'Movie Reviews' started by baddriver, Jul 5, 2009.

1. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Short Review:

When I was about 75% through the movie I had a quick and sudden
    primal impulse to hurl something at the screen.

Depp and Bale did their part to make a bad movie better, but the
    storytelling lacked good character development, cinematography
    was weak, and both the overly dramatic soundtrack and the movie
    droned on-and-on . I think this is Michael Mann's lemon of a
    gangster movie.

Save your cash.

2. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Public enemies? Ithink that's the name. Anywho. Thanks for the review as I thought about seeing it. Has anyone else seen it????

3. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Yeah that's it.. thanks for letting me know I screwed up the title.

4. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea I could tell the cinematography was weak from the trailer. I still wanna check it out though

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

That is really disapointing to hear... the previews look great, and I like all the actors involved... I think Hollywood is officially dead, and all movies released from now on are officially going to suck. boo

6. Deke

Deke Active Member

I'm still interested in seeing it, but I have to admit I'm not sure I'd like the cinematography either. He has used the same kind of look in Miami Vice (yuck) and Collateral. I think it worked beautifully for Collateral (the entire thing taking place at night in LA), but just from the previews of Public Enemy, it doesn't look like it works in largely daytime gangster movie.

7. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Goodfellas (1990) and The Untouchables (1987) are the films I compare gangster movies to.

Johnny Depp and Al Pacino were in another great mob film called
    Donnie Brasco, which I thought was great.

8. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea donnie brasco was great. Took me a couple of tries to watch it due to it being so slow but once I did I enjoyed it.

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

That stinks :(

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Don't forget the mother of all gangster flicks... Godfather 1 &2... And not so much of a gangster flick but close is Scarface(my fav. movie ever).

11. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

good call I won't spend the $10.50

12. Deke

Deke Active Member

I watched it tonight. All in all, I thought it was decent. Although I'd say wait until it hits DVD/Blu-ray. My main complaints were the length (I felt it could have been cut down quite a bit) and the cinematography. I actually found I was wrong in my original assumption of the cinematography though, I thought the camera it was shot with worked fine. I just got a little tired of the close-up, low angle, extremely unsteady cam. I don't mind a shaky camera in many instances (I thought the Bourne movies used it quite effectively), but it was just a little much in this.

On the plus side, the acting was quite good (as can be expected from Depp and Bale), and the cast was stacked. I'd say my absolute favorite part of the movie though was the sound of the thompsons. I creamed my jeans a little bit every time there was a gunfight.

13. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I sat through this last night too. I was pretty disappointed. Acting was good but he script was week and sound balance was terrible. You often couldn't hear the dialogue because the background music was so loud. When I go to a movie, I want to be entertained, not watch a documentary...