Pulled the silencer

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by moose, Feb 5, 2005.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Only took a few minutes... put some 3" PVC in place to connect the airbox to the fender (I noticed there's a bit of a gap so wanted to make sure I didn't inhale engine bay air). Can FINALLY hear the blow off valve, and man does it sound nice! :bowdown:

First mod on the car, so it's all downhill from here... :D

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

awesome man!!

You've gotta start somewhere.

3. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

Use some thermo tape (also can be bought at home depot) to cover up the holes between engine bay and the fender. It will help to keep the HOT air out of the fender so the intake can pick up colder air.

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i didnt bother to cover up the gap when i did mine... my intake temp doesn't seem to be too high so i left it alone.... gonna end up with CAI sometime anyway

5. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I bought the factory block off plate that's used on the non-turbo cars. Might cover up the hole below it where some wiring runs through too... not sure it'll make much of a difference, but you never know. :)

6. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i took off the silencer but i put back the duct that pushes air into the fender... thought it would benefit from some free flowing air

7. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

I plan on replacing mine this weekend with a piece I bought. Are there any secrets to getting the fender liner off without breaking the little plastic push thingies? Are the ones with the little phillips looking heads real screws or is that just decoration?

8. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

On mine, the screw looking things you just unscrew 1/4 turn or so and they'll pop out.

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

ive pulled a few, it is relatively annoying task but is definately a cool mod, in terms of sound

10. ptc075

ptc075 Member

I wanted to do this to mine as well, but the small end doesn't quite reach the fender hole, so it just flops around on mine. What do you do to extend it so it reaches the fender hole? I was thinking some sort of flexible ducting might do the trick... Looks like it only needs to go another inch or so.

-Laters!
    -Chris!

11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

mine doesn't reach the fender hole either... it simply directs air towards the fender...

12. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

Done. Yes it was a relatively annoying task. Not difficult though.
    My first impression is that it seems to be actually quieter. I only drove around the block however. My guess is that most of you are drawing air from the fender whereas I used an elbow to connect it back to the little scoop. Maybe the fender space amplifies the sound? I will know more after driving around some more tomorrow.
    Man I was stunned at the size of that tumor that I took out of the fender.

13. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

maybe its the elbow... when i took mine out, i could hear the turbo spool and the bypass valve clearly

14. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Removing mine made a big difference in sound, but I didn't use the elbow; just used a short piece pf PVC to connect the airbox to the fender. Now I hear turbo whoosing and blow off valve popping all over the place... not so loud to be annoying, but enough to be entertaining.

15. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

its never too loud to be annoying :D

16. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

It’s most definitely quieter. Then again my car is pretty loud anyway and it could have just taken the resonance to a different level and my ears are picking it up as much. Oh well.. I didn’t think it would sound like that Surpa from over at TopSpeed anyway. Maybe I should just tape it and play it on the stereo? lol

17. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

Ya know. I really think this has hurt my power some. However I did throw in 3 variables at the same time. Soft reset with the AP, new air filter and QT gas a couple days before. I wouldn’t think much about it but it just feels down some. As for the gas I normally run BP 95% of the time but traffic was heavy and I just ducked into QT as I have ran it before. I am thinking if anything the gas because yesterday my car pinged a little when I was lugging it for the first time since I bought it some 56k miles ago. I swung around and topped it off at the normal place immediately. What ya think? Sound reasonable? Maybe I should dyno it again to see if it doesn’t feel normal in a week or so.

Here is what I stuck in there. http://www.rallitek.com/products.asp?ID=366&PP=Y&HB=&ACC=&SP=

18. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

my guess is that its the gas... the elbow and the filter should not hurt it... i have the ecutek data monitor and it shows how me the timing advance multiplier... with bad gas, it will drop and the car won't pull as hard... i would recommend that u try to run the tank as low as possible and then refill with good gas... then reset the ecu and see if u feel a difference

19. married05gt

married05gt starting over

I only run QT gas and have never had a problem they say it is"top tear".

As far as the silencer goes when I did mine I did not know what I was doing so I removed it inside the finder by cutting it out with a hack saw. It does not matter know because i just got my CAI.

20. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

what you mean by "SOFT" reset with AP??? I recommend, disconnect battery for "FULL" reset. I think air silencer thing is more related to psychologic.

I took out my silencer around 3K mi. When i first took it out, i liked the way it sounds. I added AP stage 1 along around 5K mi. Then i realized that the filter got dirtier quickly (but it was my mental belief i guess). So i reinstalled the silencer around 8K mi. I FELT like i get less lag and little faster response whenever i step on gas. oh well.... when i went upto stage 2, i took out the silencer along AGAIN. and i still have it that way. Gotta love the turbo whistling and air sucking in. Now I can easily tell how much turbo is blowing without looking at boost gauge but by listening.

Picking gas station that has FRESH fuel is the most important in my opinion because old fuel does lose octane.

21. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member