"Pulsating" while in boost

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by jautry27, Apr 7, 2013.

1. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I'll try and describe this as best and accurately as possible. I've just noticed this over the last couple of days. Kind of came on all of a sudden. When I am pressing the gas, I've noticed that the engine surges a little bit while in boost. Almost like you would be slightly letting up and down on the gas while accelerating. I notice it more often at lower RPM's while in a higher gear.

I've read a couple places that have said a possible boost leak. I haven't checked my lines yet, but will tomorrow as soon as I get some more daylight.

Any thoughts or has something similar to this happened to any of you?

2. techlord

techlord Active Member

Always look for the post maf leak but don't be surprised if its a coil pack

3. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I can only assume that I should hope its the post MAF....I haven't even looked at the price of a coil pack, but can only assume it ain't cheap.

4. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Maybe the Fuel Pressure Regulator?

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

coil packs can be found cheap used, just make sure they are good. do you have any check engine lights? if you have a misfire in cylinder 1 for example, move that coil pack to cylinder 2 and drive again and see if the check engine light follows it. this will narrow down which coil pack is back and if that is indeed the problem. its actually a pretty common issue with both WRX/STi's.

otherwise, pull your intercooler off (assuming you're still topmounted) and check all around the intake elbow (could actually be the intercooler lines too). but this is the only real way to be sure.

6. jautry27

jautry27 Member

No check engine lights. I figured if it was something like a pack, the light would come on. Since it has not, I kind if figured it could be te FPR

7. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

The light will not come on unless it starts to misfire. A coil pack can still be going bad without the light coming on. Bad FPRs are not a common problem on Subarus. Techlord and Jake are on the right track.

8. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Post MAF leak, IC leaks, check coils. Do you have a boost gauge? This actually sounds like boost/fuel cut. Is the boost going up then down and repeat? If so you could have mechanical boost creep or the the WGDC is all out of whack (I had that problem once). The boost would go from 20 to 15 to 20 to 15 exactly in the situations you described.....lower rpm high gear (more load). I see you swapped the EJ255 for a EJ257 so your compression has dropped on your car therefore if you are not custom tuned your maps are tweaked.

9. jautry27

jautry27 Member

It's just a 257 block, but still the lower compression pistons. I do have a boost gauge. Not a fancy one, but seems to be pretty accurate. It's usually 7-10 and back to 7, but not a flickering type of fast. It's more like letting up and down on the gas kind of rate, but the whole time, I will be at WOT.

10. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Did you reuse the EJ255 pistons or used EJ257 pistons? EJ257 lower compression than EJ255 iirc. Like 8.4 vs 8.2.

My old issue did not flicker fast. It would build boost and fall build boost and fall just like you were getting on and off the gas. It was a very smooth build/fall and the culprit was a bad wastegate duty cycle in the tune itself.

11. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

remove vac line to WG and drive normal and then get some boost and see

WGDC

Q:
    Did you adjust the WG arm (if adjustable) ?
    Did you do anything to the BCS ?
    Did you change the PID or WGDC or boost targets (maps) ?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  12. jautry27

jautry27 Member

It's all 257 block (pistons, rods, crank, block). Everything else is 255. The way you are describing it is almost to a tee. I've got someone who is going to look at it tomorrow. He came recommended by B Reel, so I'm sure it'll be taken care of.

13. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Do what goixiz said to do.....may boost lower in total but the boost should hold steady. If so then that is exactly what it is.

14. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Ok, so I did what he said and it does build evenly now, but according to the gauge, it won't release until I let off the gas. It was reading as high as 17-18 and would release pressure until I let off the gas.

15. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Nothing has been adjusted.

16. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

who tuned it ?
    target boost ?

I would lengthen the WG arm 2 turns for now till you retune
    Your PID values may be too high

17. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Stock tune. Target boost= whatever is stock.

18. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

So you did a major mod and was not tuned ?

19. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I was told by the person that I bought the engine from that just by adding only a 257 block, that I would not need to re-tune it. As I said, the only thing about my car that is 257 is the block (block, pistons, rods, crank). Everything else is 255. But then again, I was given a lot of bad advice when I was building this engine.

20. jautry27

jautry27 Member

And when I say bad advice, I'm not referring to any that was given to me on here.

21. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

17-18 psi on WG pressure? Something isn't right here. Are you sure you pulled the wg line off cause on a stock turbo I think that wg is only 7-8 psi or so.

22. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

And yes you changed the block/pistons to a lower compression one. Your stock tune is not optimal. Even in stock form your stock tune was not optimal.

23. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wait, wait, wait...you haven't been tuned?

24. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Nope. Changed the effective CR of the engine and left the tune on the EJ255 settings.

jautry who is looking at your car that b reel recommended? Mike Sargent perhaps?

25. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

26. jautry27

jautry27 Member

A guy named Steve. He calls him chicken biscuit. He's gonna look at the tune

27. jautry27

jautry27 Member

There's only one vac line to the WG, right?

28. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yes one line to WG.

29. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Then I pulled the right one

30. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Let us know what you find out. In the meantime I'd stay away from WOT. But get that thing tuned.

31. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I'm going to meet with him Saturday instead. We just didn't have time today.

32. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

So what's the issue?

33. h23bb2

h23bb2 Member

We still haven't met up to log the car...

9/10 the EBCS goes bad in these things. I have a handful of spares from customer's cars but IDK if I was bright enough to mark/ditch the bad ones... lol

Steve

34. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I've just had a bad string of luck lately and haven't been able to make it that way.

35. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Well, I was finally able to meet up with him so he could log it, but of course with my bad luck, I hit the biggest fucking raccoon on the planet, tear my CV boot, and fuck up my wheel bearing. Soooooo, with that said, I still can't get data logged, and I now get to put on a new CB axle and wheel bearing.