Q: Why don't dealers carry wear items?

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Dante, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Dante

Dante Member

So, my car is at SOK for a brake job. Covered under warranty, great service, great techs, etc. Loving the new dealership. Lydia rocks. Stephen Kings not too shabby either.

My question though, why they don't keep at least one set of brakes and rotors in stock for the new STi? Didn't have an in-cabin A/C filter in stock either. Seems like these regular service items would be a no brainer to keep at least one set in stock? In fact, they ordered the brake pads to do the service, but now they've got to keep the car another day while they order rotors. :sx:

I understand the carrying cost of inventory, the rareness of the car, and having a small parts room, but not having a single set of an item that you expect to use regularly? Seems strange..

2. FACE

FACE Active Member

I think because MOST parts they can get by 3 if ordered by 9...I agree with you though...stock atleast one.

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

Most people know my feelings on sok's parts dept.

I don't wanna step on any toes, because everyone seems to love the parts guy. But I have yet to be impressed the few times I've been there.

4. longfury

longfury Active Member

Depends on who you deal with in the parts area. The guy I deal with has been great. His name is Richard. I have never dealt with anyone else as I only go by on Saturdays.

5. techlord

techlord Active Member

hmm always had the parts I was looking for...then again I hit up the KING first to get the ball rolling.

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

That was also at Classic if you are talking about your 6 speed

7. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

that is crazy...they don't carry tpms sensors either for the LGT or not when i had to have mine replaced..Its especially difficult when driving from gwinnett....but atleast they gave me a loaner so it wasn't too much of an inconvenience

8. Warranty parts=$....customer pay parts=$$$$..They want to sell parts at retail much much more than warranty price.I would not be surprised if at times dealers have a part in stock but will make you wait just in case they could sell it retail..loaner = you can wait for parts.I believe Brian is the main parts guy and then he has a guy who fills in for him at times.poss.Richard?. I know Brian did Troncalli in Cummings parts for a couple of years or so.
    Also, Most 08 models do not need brakes yet and inventory has to turn over every so often to make $$.Dealers no longer stock a part on the chance that someone might need it.

9. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

SoG has the best collection of parts on hand but all dealerships around here can get them very quickly since the warehouse for the Southeast is by Six Flags.

I was just there the other day to get the necessary parts to put a short block back together and they had the parts in stock. I bet any other dealership would have had to order the parts.

I drive the extra mile to get my stuff from SoG.

10. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

2.0 shortblock?

11. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

no n00b....pistons and whatnot ;)

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

[ThreadJack]

I'm throwing some stock pistons back in the 2.5 block.

I needed all the orings that go between the block halves.

You can get stock pistons, rods and bearings from an engine builder that were taken out of a brand new block that was being built real cheap.

[/ThreadJack]

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Is lisa still at SoG? She always treated me right.

14. Dante

Dante Member

The in-cabin filter I was actually trying to purchase myself.

Oh, and the parts guy I've dealt with has been slow as molasses. I'll ask 'do you have the air filter for a 2008 STi?' and then 10 minutes and ten questions 'what engine is in that car?' later he'll come back with 'i think so, but let me check'. Yikes, I'm happy retirees are getting jobs but....

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  15. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Fixed the thread title

16. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Brian has been a great to deal with regarding finding parts for my
    WRX transmission swap.

Stephen has also gone above and beyond as for as providing some
    technical info on the Legacy that I needed.

My experience with the whole crew there has been positive so far,
    as has it been with the sister Troncolli dealership in Cumming.