Question fer you gun sellers...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by K. Marx, Nov 6, 2012.

1. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question, but please allow me to ask a well, dumb question.

Several of you obviously sell guns on the classifieds here. I've got one or two that I'm contemplating trading in or selling altogether, but I've never really done much private selling of registered weapons.

How exactly does that work? Can I UN-register a gun after I sell it? This may be the tinfoil hat dude in me writing, but do any of you guys worry about what might happen to a gun registered in your name after it leaves your hands? IE, guy buys gun from me, it is stolen from the buyer's house a year down the road, thief uses said weapon in giant, murderous crime spree, feds come knocking at my door...

Is there a process that should be followed in a private gun sell? Am I just being paranoid?

Enlighten me, fellow gun aficionados.

2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

you don't have to register firearms in the state of GA. As long as you're private selling within the state, you don't need an FFL. Stick to local deals.

3. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

As stated above, no registration. When you purchase a firearm, the shop files the 4473 and keeps it until they close or renew or change their FFL. The serial number to the firearm stays with them. When a firearm is used in a crime, the serial will be ran. They will then check to see where it was originally sold, to who, and so on. As a private sell, no documentation is legally required.

If you were contacted, you would state that you sold the firearm and they go from there. A simple dated bill of sale, with name of purchaser and seller, along with model and serial number of firearm, is not a bad thing to have on file. But not require. They must be of legal age and be a resident of ga however. So a quick check of a DL helps cover your end.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012