question on navagation units

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by STIstorm, Apr 7, 2015.

1. STIstorm

STIstorm Supporting Member

Just wanted to get some recommendations on a decent in-dash navigation/stereo unit. Since my car did not come with the factory nav will I have an issue on install or if I'm able to find a factory nav unit will that work. Any feedback would be a great help. Thanks!

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

pioneer all the way.

3. STIstorm

That's good to hear since I've been looking at the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX.

4. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

5. STIstorm

That's actually really cool. I have an android.

6. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

The iOS CarPlay functionality is definitely better than devices running AppRadio mode but if you have a newer Android phone you can still get really neat use out of it. Waze, google maps, etc plus iheart, pandora, or whatever else you use for music. You can also use Torque or Dash Commander if you have a bluetooth OBD2 module.

Go up to Best Buy and test out the display unit with your phone if youre interested. I got them to price match mine with Amazon and it saved me a couple hundred bucks.

7. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

I've been wanting to try the app radio for some time now but I've been exclusive to owning several Alpine double din nav units since 2005 and have never been steered wrong. I can only say good things about them. Only cons are the price and all the extras needed to go with it (modules, harnesses, bypasses etc.) Other than that as long as the head unit uses NavTech as the navigation software then it is a-ok (Alpine, Pioneer, JVC, and most German OE units come with it)

8. orndog

orndog Member

I'm so cheap I just stick my iPhone in a cup holder mount and wish I could see it better...

9. Matt

10. orndog

orndog Member

I bought one of those magnetic vent holders only to find out that our vents aren't exactly suited for such things...
    Does this thing not wear out the CD player?

11. Matt

it doesn't go all the way in. not even enough for the cd player to register something is being inserted into it.

12. orndog

orndog Member

So... just the tip?

13. Matt

[​IMG]

14. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

I have a Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS head unit in mine. It's a pretty decent unit with some minor quirks. It supports Android and Apple devices, though do note that Pinoeer's "AppRadio" is wonky and only works with very specific models of Android and builds. For example, my Note 3 is running 4.4.2 and isn't supported; and since it's rooted I can't OTA the updated version.

If you're looking for a decent windshield mount for your phone, I might recommend the Amazon Basics mount; I've always had pretty decent luck with Amazon's brands:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...781&sr=8-5&keywords=Amazon+Basics+phone+mount

15. Matt

you can always sideload the updated ota.

16. STIstorm

Still haven't made a decision. My phone isn't compatible with the pioneer app radio. My second thought was to just look for a factory subaru in-dash stereo with nav.

17. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

18. Cory

Cory Member

Has anyone heard any other word on the Parrot RNB 6?

19. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

No release date or price as of yet. It is a 2015 release though and as we are already almost in May. I would imagine it can't be too much longer.

20. orndog

orndog Member

Slickdeals shows that Best Buy (and their Ebay page) has Pioneer 6.1" GPS In-Dash Bluetooth Touchscreen Receiver (AVIC-5000NEX) on sale for $349.99.
    I have no clue if it's good, but thought of you guys. I'm not in the market.

21. STIstorm

I'll check that out.

22. SVXdc

SVXdc Member

For a list of things you may want to install an aftermarket HU, see this guide (for 2011-2014 WRX/STi, and 2011 Impreza). Has links to similar guides for other years/models.

Or to "transplant" an OEM Fujitsu Ten navigation HU, see this (I'm now able to make a version that doesn't require soldering; need to update the pictures).

But I recommend going aftermarket.