Radar Detector

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FTZ, Jun 23, 2005.

1. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Does anybody have a Radar Detector that I can borrow for about 2 weeks? I am driving home to PA next Wed. and will be making a 10 hour drive over night. I would like to protect myself if at all possible during the trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Jason,
    I lent my passport 8500 x50 to my cousin, but I have found that the radar detector actually is less and less effective. With all of the signal pollution, newer laser equipment and laws against the devise, it really doesn't help as much as it hurts. In fact, I think it might even hurt because, at least for me, it makes me lazy and over confident about spotting police. I have been pulled over once since I got it and it was mostly the detectors fault. I was on a road with known speed traps set up and thought, "Meh, the radar detector will keep me safe." The detector literally went off as the cop came into view. I got lucky with a warning that time. Another time, I wasn't speeding, but the detector was on. The cop literally pulled within three feet of me and switched his radar on, scarying the crap out of me as I had been just cruising along. Luckily, I had set my CC to 5 over and he seemed to just be f'ing with me. The point remains, the detectors are getting less effective and might just make you over confident. So, if you do manage to borrow one, still be verrrry careful. Sorry for the rambling...so tired, so, so tired...

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

u can borrow mine.... but it has the tendency to just turn off whenever it wants for as long as it wants

4. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Thanks Milo. Will have to take you up on that, not a big deal if it turns off from time to time. Scott, I am not overly concerned. I made the trip last time without incidents, I will most likely just go a steady 80 the whole way, and being that I will be driving from 10 PM to 8 AM, I doubt I will really see many cops anyways, but it would just be nice to have the extra added security of an alert should a cop be waiting. I am not seeing it as an excuse to go WOT to Fuel Cut or anything like that. And I understand how if gives people a fake confidence, but lets face it, those people know nothing about radar detectors and expect it to be 100% fool proof, but we all know that is not the case.