Rallitek Snorkus Delete Elbow

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by YallerWRX, Apr 12, 2005.

1. YallerWRX

YallerWRX New Member

I'm going to try the intake silencer delete "real soon now," hopefully this weekend, and am wondering if anybody has bothered to check out the silencer delete elbow, like the one on rallitek.com. It's $39.99 but doesn't appear to be necessary. It seems like, according to looking at the DIY posting by Fez, that the results would be the same with the bottom cut off the stock silencer and plugged-up with a glued on piece of plastic. I just don't think I want to leave it open to the fender-well.

Also, what about the sound? My former ride, a '93 RX-7 with Pettit intake, was very open and loud and I really enjoyed all the sounds of the turbos and bov etc. and am wondering what this mod will do to the sound of the WRX with Cobb Stage 2 (Cobb tbe). As far as I'm concerned, the louder the better. I like to hear what's going on and once you get used to it you can tell what's going on with your engine by the sounds... that is, if it sounds different you can tell it.

So, anybody have an opinion about the need for the Rallitek vs. chopping it up myself and the sounds to expect?

Thanks!

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

you can give me 40 bux and ill do the snorkus removal :D but seriously dont waste your money. its the same thing as taking out the intake silencer. the sound is good. you will be able to hear your turbo sucking the air in a little better. not a bad free mod. lots of people have good results from it.. its not going to turn your car into a monster or anything but maybe 2-3 hp difference

3. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

i put it on mine, with a airhog air filter. as far as cutting the factory off, i would not recommend it. u either need to put the delete elbow in or CAI on. the elbow wont change the sound much, however the CAI will. I had a CAI, but removed it and went with the elbow.

My main reason was accessability of the filter. anyway there's my 2 cents take it for what its worth.

4. rolling_trip

dont listen to weapon, he is one of those guys with a HKS BOV, psssst

5. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

that bov is wicked!!! i cant thank ya enough man..hows the gfb working for ya? :end hijack:

6. rolling_trip

im just glad u didnt try the gfb with 50\50

7. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I have the elbow that I bought from Mike, haven't installed it yet, will probably do it tomorrow. Not expecting much of a change.

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i removed the silencer and didn't put in an elbow... definitely heard the turbo and bypass valve clearer... after installing the CAI, the sounds were significantly amplified

by the way... i totally agree with u... louder the better

9. YallerWRX

YallerWRX New Member

Anyone ever heard of debris / water, etc. getting into the intake via the open fender when the silencer is completely left off... with no elbow or modified silencer at all installed? Seems kinda scarey, but, I've never been inside the fender so it may be relatively water tight.

Any comments?

Thanks...

10. rolling_trip

not sure about a wrx, but the 05 sti is cover very well. trust me it is a pain to install a CAI, unless u pull the tire, i hear

11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

ive had no problems with debris

12. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

My car had the intake on it for 25K miles and when I pulled the filter out it was dirty but still not clogged up by any means.

I still was careful driving in the rain withit since the filter is just a couple inches about the lowest point on the body.